This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

lighting for a 210g with co2?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by andyl9063, Mar 31, 2014.

1. andyl9063

andyl9063 Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    11:21 AM
    Right now I have 2 catalina t5ho 36 in with 3 bulbs each and its 6 bulbs total.

I'm trying to grow plants and some plants are not doing too well like tetlanthera and Red ludwigia. The plants are growing, but not that well. The red ludwigia stays green near the top and the bottom loses its leaves.

I don't think I have enough light to penetrate bottom. I'm running co2 as well.
    Anyone think I have enough lights? I don't want to spent a lot of money unless I know for sure, that the lights are low.

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

Can you provide a few more details please? How are the lights mounted? what are the tank dims? How far from the water surface are the lights?

What kind of c02 setup do you use? What kind of substrate, filtration, extra flow?

Sorry, but there is much to growing plants, and sometimes it is NOT just the light...

A few pics of things may help us as well. The more info you provide, the better the response you will receive.
    Are the bulbs older at all?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

Can you provide a few more details please? How are the lights mounted? what are the tank dims? How far from the water surface are the lights?

What kind of c02 setup do you use? What kind of substrate, filtration, extra flow?

Sorry, but there is much to growing plants, and sometimes it is NOT just the light...

A few pics of things may help us as well. The more info you provide, the better the response you will receive.
    Are the bulbs older at all?

3. andyl9063

Local Time:
    yeah sorry, I didn't post the details.

Lights are right on top of tank. Tank is 72x24x29. The light is probably 30 inch from bottom of substrate.
    Co2 setup with cerges reactor. Amazonia aquasoil, the usual. 2000 gph pump with overflow.

You can see from the pictures that the red ludwigia in the back is just bright green and the bottom leaves are starting to fall off. The tetlanthera is in the back, its kinda pinkish/red.
    The growth of the plants all the way at the bottom isn't growing at full potential as well.

Can plants be inhibited by light alone if all other factors are correct? I'm not having any algae issues.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

#3 andyl9063, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014
  4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

I would love more detail on the overflow sump setup, filters, etc.

Yes, light could well be a limiting factor is all else checks out. This is Leibigs law of the minimum.

That said, I would check out the stems that are closer to the light and see how they fare...I see a few tops seem nice. Do yourself a favor and either strip the old leaves off or top the plant, as they will not regrow..

Is the tank new at all? I don't see much plant mass??? I suggest getting some large bunches of say water wisteria and plant them, even if you remove them later...

Note that c02 loss occurs in overflows and sumps and is why I want more info on that and the complete c02 setup. How do you return the filtered water? I see bulkheads...what size pipe, etc?

Thanks..

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

I would love more detail on the overflow sump setup, filters, etc.

Yes, light could well be a limiting factor is all else checks out. This is Leibigs law of the minimum.

That said, I would check out the stems that are closer to the light and see how they fare...I see a few tops seem nice. Do yourself a favor and either strip the old leaves off or top the plant, as they will not regrow..

Is the tank new at all? I don't see much plant mass??? I suggest getting some large bunches of say water wisteria and plant them, even if you remove them later...

Note that c02 loss occurs in overflows and sumps and is why I want more info on that and the complete c02 setup. How do you return the filtered water? I see bulkheads...what size pipe, etc?

Thanks..

5. andyl9063

Local Time:
    The tank is fairly new I guess. It's been setup since December. I will strip the old leaves. What's the reasoning for the bunches of water wisteria?
    Tank has in-tank beananimal overflow that extends directly into sump below water level. Co2 is run through cerges reactor and return back to sump and then pump through return pump via spraybar. Co2 is definitely running because I have almost gas the fish a couple of times. I have dial it back a little bit. The return pipe is 1 inch.