This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Lighting for 90x45x45cm Tank

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Steven, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Steven

Steven Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    12:53 AM
    Hi,

I have a set of light fixture 4x21watt T5NO and planning to use it on my new tank 90x45x45cm, will it be enough to grow the most light demanding plants?

Thank you.

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

I would say more than plenty....

Are you planning on using c02?

If not, have fun with your algae garden :)

That much light will cause all sorts of high demand for c02 and macros/micros.

You may find that using less bulbs will work better for you......

Just a thought.

3. Steven

Steven Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Yes, it will be a CO2 enriched tank.

Say Gerryd, will the T5NO (Normal Output) light penetrates well into 45cm height of tank? And which one have a better penetrate ability of 21watt NO (90cm long bulb) compared to 39watt HO (90cm long bulb)?

I noticed that my Ludwigia arcuata tend to melt when it over shaded by other plants when I'm using those T5NO bulbs.

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

Well, it would seem logical that the 39w HO would penetrate more simply as they are better/more powerful bulbs..

But, I cannot say w/o testing :)

Well, Tom has mentioned that plants can tell when shaded by other plants and may react accordingly....

I think MOST plants/stems at least can tolerate SOME shading (to some degree) but that c02 is much more important in the long run.

5. Steven

Steven Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Ok, how do you estimate the light for a planted tank anyway?

I,m planning on using an inline diffuser connected before the reactor in hope for better CO2 diffusion. So basically the CO2 will disperse in an inline diffuser after that travel through a reactor for another further dispersion and I'm also will use 2 canister filter for this size of tank and place the output nozzle one at left front corner and one at the right back corner in hope for creating a circular water flow.

I hope this time, my new tank setup will be a low light, non limiting CO2 and fertz successful planted tank.

6. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    For an estimate, use Hoppy's charts.

This is just a guess based off of Hoppy's chart on PAR -VS- Distance. Two T5NO, 51 cm above the substrate would provide high medium light (about 70 PAR) and one would provide low light (about 30-40 PAR) at the substrate. With CO2 supplementation you could go either way, one (less CO2 demand) or two if your CO2 is dialed in correctly. One T5HO at 51cm would give you about 70 PAR, but less spread. :)

7. Steven

Steven Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Did you say that I can grow plants with a single 21watt T5NO bulb? Can I grow stem plants and carpeting plants with it?

Did the Hoppy guy comparing the lights underwater or not as I know light intensities will drop when travel through water?

What is the best to supply the CO2 through this tank size?

8. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    No, one bulb would not be enough, while two with good reflectors could work very well. To supply CO2 I would always use an external reactor, less equipment visible inside the tank. This also ensures enough capacity, together with around 7 to 10 times turnover in flow.

regards,
    dutchy

9. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Directly under the T5NO, you could. Two would give you better spread.
    Hoppy's test were done in a tank filled with water and the readings were from directly under the bulb. It does not tell you what the PAR levels are say 30 degrees out from the light source and as someone pointed out on another post, the PAR readings would be higher for smaller tanks. I'm not sure what size tank was used for the test, but your size tank would not be that different and you asked for best estimate.
    There are a number of ways to diffuse CO2 effectively. The two most popular seam to be powerhead/needlewheels (easy to make and effective) and reactors (a little more work but arguably just as effective as needlewheels). What you have devised sounds as if it would work as well as most. I am not as familiar with reactors. If you were to start a thread, describe your idea, you would be able to get more help if you have specific questions about your particular set up. I do think the flow dispersing CO2 should provide at least a turn over of 4 times the water volume. A turn over of seven times volume would be even better.

#9 Tug, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2011