This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Lighting for 75 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by feh, May 22, 2011.

1. feh

feh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    8:37 AM
    I'm only looking for medium light... something close to 45 micromol range at the substrate but still not being too intense near the top of the tank. Am I asking for the impossible? Based on Hoppy's chart at TPT 2 T5NO bulbs would give medium lighting. I'd rather not give up my canopy so I'm thinking about removing the T5HO fixture I have and installing a DIY set up in the top of the canopy. I only have about 4 inches to work with above the top of the tank. From the substrate Its 20 inches to the top of the inside of the canopy. I do intend to use reflectors comparable to the ones at AH supply with the bulbs spaced about 4 inches from the rear of the tank and 4 inches from the front of the tank to try and get the best spread I can. Would this offer reasonable lighting without it being too much? I have some moss growing near the surface. I'm not sure on the exact distance but I don't want to have issues with algae growing in the moss. Right now I'm using a 4 bulb T5HO fixture with the 2 outside bulbs in use suspended 12" from the top of the tank and on for 8hrs a day, but I just don't like the look of it hanging above the tank. My tank is also covered with glass so I do expect some loss from that.

#1 feh, May 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2011