This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Lighting for 36" tall tank???

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Lakehouse, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Lakehouse

Lakehouse Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    9:51 PM
    I am getting a 4' x 20"wide x 36" tall tank and am looking for lighting suggestions.

It will be pressurized co2 injection.

I dont have to use the co2, but it is avail if need be.

I also have in the past used Pfertz and will probably continue with their line of fertilizers.

I only have 21" from ceiling to top of tank.

I would like to do slow growers to minimize the amount of time spent in such a deep tank. I really like mosses and ferns.

I'm looking at this light but not sure if 150 mh is strong enough or if I need to go to 250w mh's.

http://www.fishneedit.com/2-x-150w-mhl-with-2-x-2bulbs-4ft-2150224.html

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

Given your goals and plant likes why not just go NO C02 and use T8 or T5 bulbs? I don't think you need MH.....

Just a thought...I know there is a thread around by Hoppy that shows PAR values based on distance....

A bit of searching the forum may be useful..

IMO, MH would be overkill.

3. Lakehouse

Local Time:
    Thanks Gerry.

That would be great if I could get by with no co2 and just t5's. I have always had high tech tanks so just assumed I'd have to go that route with a 3' tall tank. Can you recommend any more plants that would thrive in a set up like this( no co2, low(er) light, hopefully minimal ferts)?

4. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    What Gerry Said... Of Course!

Hi,

What Gerry says...:eek:

I would stick with the T-8's or T-5's, be careful though some of the reflector setups with the T-5's can produce a lot of light. :eek:

If you have high ambient lighting you may not even require lighting at all. The main problems I have seen with ambient lighting is a tendency for growth to head for the front of the tank.:rolleyes:

Anubias, Aponogetons, Cryptocorynes, and aquatic ferns are all great choices for low, or lower light, no CO2 tanks. :cool:

Biollante

5. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

In addition to Bio's good list, I would add hygro wisteria, all java varieties, bolbitus, some rotalas and ludwigia, but hard to say which ones. Lots depends on other conditions in the tank.

If you did some type of mineralize or nutrient rich substrate, you could go the Walstad method...

You will get slower and less magnificent growth w/o c02, but you can grow many plants quite nicely w/o it...

Many examples of THAT all over the world....

Just watch your expectations for growth coming from using c02....may take some getting used to but is very nice to enjoy and get away from weekly trimming....

6. Lakehouse

Local Time:
    Thanks guys, just talked with hoppy who recommended using co2 because, even though it will be low light at the substrate using t5's, it will be high light at the top of the tank.
    Thoughts?

7. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    More Than One Way To Skin The proverbial Cat!

Hi,

The light intensity with T-5s is an issue, for low light applications I prefer T-12s or T-8s, I do have a couple with T-5s, just use more spacing.:)

There is nothing wrong with using CO2 if that is what you wish to do... I still think with the aforementioned plants it is not a requirement.:cool:

Biollante

8. Lakehouse

Local Time:
    Thanks Gerry.
    I love the look of bolbitus and have not had the opportunity to grow it, so that will be a must have. Thanks for ALL of the other suggestions too! I am thinking of using aqua soil as that is all I've ever used.
    And yes, at 3' deep, I will be looking forward to NOT having to trim weekly :)

I'll have to google the walstad method!

#8 Lakehouse, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2011
  9. Lakehouse

Local Time:
    Thanks biollante!