Lighting a 80cm (31.5") tank

metasyntax

Junior Poster
Mar 11, 2005
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
I have a 80cm x 35cm x 45cm (31.5"x13.8"x17.8") tank that I'm having a hard time deciding how to light. I think I've settled on 2x36W setup in a linear fashion [-- --] but the fixture would be ~34"-35" in length. I was hoping for some other suggestions, or recommendations. The tank is 126litres/33.2 US gallons and is trimless. I will be DIY'ing the lighting so I can be flexible.

Thanks,
Glenn

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You can make a DIY hood and add 2x 55 A&H lights also.
Stagger them so they overlap and spread them out front to back of the tank also and angle the reflectors for the best spread and different angels.

If you have two light close together:

-----------
-----------

vs

-----------

-----------

So more light will hit more leaf area, vs just a "hot spot"(like a MH).
You get better foliage and fuller look due to more angles of light hitting the plant leaves.

Regards,
Tom Barr

metasyntax

Junior Poster
Mar 11, 2005
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Well since it's only a 32g tank, I want to keep the lighting reasonable so hence the 2x36W (it's actually a AHSupply 2x55W bright kit, but the bulbs are dead and need to be replaced anyway).

If I understand you I should make the dimensions of the hood similar to the footprint of the tank, then put one bulb at the front left, and one at the rear right. Then angle the reflectors to cover the tank as much as possible.

Code:
top view

@turbomkt: That fixture looks nice, but in Canada it's ~110-130 :(

Thanks,
Glenn