Lighting a 75 gallon noC02

Infulgeo

Prolific Poster
Dec 2, 2010
Hey guys, i know i haven't been on here for a while but needless to say the tank was never started...hoping to move a bit closer to doing it now. I'm considering doing a 75 gallon tank with one 48" 54 watt T-5 HO Plant Grow Fluorescent Tube. Will this not be enough light, its about .7 wpg and I'm wondering if its enough for a NoCo2 setup.
Plants will be most likely:
-Hygrophila Difformis
-Taiwan Moss + driftwood for tree like effect
-Corkscrew Vallisneria
Possibly a Temple, Narrow leaf plant at each of the four corners

I'm thinking if i get this 75 i'm going plant the wisteria in most of the tank with the corkscrew Vals in the foreground on each side of the driftwood tree shaped structure.I'm mostly concerned if this setup is lacking sufficient lighting or if the t-5 output is enough to pretty much offset this.

Another question i'm having is due to fiscal deficiencies, ADA Aquasoil might not be an option. Could i go with a setup like say:
-Flourite Black Sand 1" Capping layer, (supposed high CEC)
-Worm Castings second bottom most layer 2"
-Leonardite Bottom most layer 1/3"

is there something even cheaper than flourite black sand that would do the same effect? I'm not looking to save money if it means degrading the overall efficiency of the tank but i am curious...

I appreciate all the help I've received on this forum past and presently...
-Infulgeo

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
A single Plant Grow tube from Aquamedic puts out half the PAR of a normal daylight tube, so I think you'd better use something like a single 6500K daylight tube with a good reflector around 3 to 4 inch from the water surface.

The soil suggestion sounds good to me. If you want a cheaper option just use plain sand/gravel. The plants will get their nutrition from the water column.

Infulgeo

Prolific Poster
Dec 2, 2010
thanks for the replies, i'm just going to downgrade to a 55 because the lighting is cheaper and i'll opt for a double bulb t-8 hood which is what i wanted to do in the first place. As for the soil i'm glad you agree dutchy as for going with pressurized Co2 unfortunately that is not the goal of my tank. I want/ need low maintenance (infrequent water changes etc). Thanks for your input tho!
As far as lighting which bulbs for a t-8 are best?
thanks,
-Nick

Guru Class Expert
Aug 19, 2010
I have an 80 gallon low tech,low maint planted tank which is closer to 75 gal, if you subtract water displacement from 4 inches of substrate.
I use Aqueon Triple tube T8 fixture which came with three 8000K 32 watt bulbs.
I replaced the bulbs with three 6000K bulbs and the tank appeared too yellow looking for my taste ,so I run two 8000k 32 watt bulbs and one 6000k 32 watt bulb.
Plant's appear healthy and fish color's are much better.
Tank has been going for nearly a year with once a month, or once every two month's 50 percent water change.Some go much longer between water changes but my water begins looking heavy (To me) after two months .
Tank holds approx eighty assorted small tetra's,pencilfish,barbs,oto's,LDA 25 Plecos,and eight Swartz Corydoras.