Lighting 70 lts

Sumo

Junior Poster
Feb 1, 2006
Hello.
I’m Sumo, from Uruguay.
I'm read “The Barr Report” using Google Traductor.
I'm going to start a planted tank 64x32x34(height) and I will use T8 lamps of 18W, whithout reflector.
I’m not sure if illuminate with 4 (72W) or 5 (90W) bulbs, I want to put the smallest amount needed the Glosso to grow on the front of the tank.
I appreciate if you can help decide the lighting.
Greetings.

Sumo

Junior Poster
Feb 1, 2006
Thank you, thank you all for reply, very kind to the South Americans.
Regards.

Fernando "Sumo" Vicente
Rocha. Uruguay.

vartan

Junior Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Hy, sry for hijacking the tread but i have the same problem. I got a 60x35x35 cm (24x14x14 in) 73 liter (~20 gal) Tank and a 2x55w PL light unit. Sadly the lamps can only be turned on/off together, so basically i have to use 110 or 55 watts for ~20 gal. So its eighter 2.75 or 5.5 watt per gallon. I cant really decide, but since its my first high light tank i guess 55 watt should be enough. But on the other side im not sure if 2.75 w/g is enough for a thick HC carpet and a compact growth of: Alternanthera sessilis, Ludwigia glanduosa, Hemianthus micranthemoides, Riccia Fluitans, Rotala rotundifolia. Thanks for your help

Best regards Milan

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
I think 4 - 18 wat T8 bulbs should be enough for glosso, but adding good CO2 would help a lot in growing it. CO2 helps almost all plants with any amount of light grow much better and faster, but the low growing ground cover plants seem to need it more than many plants. For that size tank you could also use Excel or Easy Carb, if you can get one of them, as a substitute for CO2.

Sumo

Junior Poster
Feb 1, 2006
Thanks Hoppy.
I'm going to use pressurized CO2, my only doubt was with the "quantity" of light.
Regards.

Sumo.

Sumo

Junior Poster
Feb 1, 2006
Hi Milan.
You were right to add your question, I hope someone will answer in one of the forums.
Best regards.
Sumo.