This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

light - T5 - Burning in?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Martin, May 1, 2010.

1. Martin

Martin Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:26 PM
    Hi

do we still need to burn in our tubes?

And why do we do it? to get the correct color? or are there more reasons?

2. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Burn-in time is just for the fact that fluorescent lights have a 50% higher output that takes 3 months (at least for CF, probably for others as well) to come down. If you're running multiple bulbs though, you can do things with which ones you turn on.

Dry start method is great for this; you can crank the light right up and grow as fast as you want before filling.

3. Martin

Martin Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Dan.
    yes I know..... reason I'm asking is I found an excellent tube.. on paper... real nice spectral curve... but after around 4 months.. the tube looses all it's goodness and becomes useless...
    A friend has used them without problems, but he did the burn in...
    I recommended these tubes to a lot of people, and all have (well maybe not all, but many) reported the same thing...

4. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Losing the spectrum is common. They make bulbs look good on paper for the spectrum plots but they rarely stay that way.

Efficient growth in bulbs aren't so important IMO. Nice aesthetic is though.