Light strength ?

iplayrock

Junior Poster
Feb 27, 2013
Port Angeles, Washington
Hello to everyone.
I have a question I hope you fellows can help me with. I have 4-54 watt T5 6500K tubes on a standard 55 gallon aquarium. 48x13x21. My question is, with 216 watts of light, what types of plants should I be able to grow well? Low, medium or high light plants? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
That's a ton of light, I have 2x this amount, but my tank is over 2x as large, so I have less light actually by type and watts.

You can grow anything and likely more than you want.

But.......it can get away from you with all that light pretty easily, more is not better for many folks.

thegasman

Subscriber
Aug 25, 2012
Anthem, AZ
Depending on the fixture type, that's going to put you around 120 PAR. You will want to have more than adequate co2 levels and very good flow to get the co2 around the tank. If not, like Tom indicated, you'll likely grow more than you want...aka algae.

iplayrock

Junior Poster
Feb 27, 2013
Port Angeles, Washington
light strength

Thanks Tom and thegasman.
This is my first shot at "planted" aquariums. It's all very interesting as well as humbling. I refuse to lose though, so I will keep at it. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum so, with every ones advice, I should find a way to be successful.
Best regards.;)

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
If this is your first planted tank, I really think you should not use more than 2x 54 Watt. If not, what you will grow the best is algae.

Take time to learn how to grow plants first.

Yo-han

Guru Class Expert
Feb 6, 2011
Netherlands
With 4x54w I'm able to grow every plant I had in my 100G. And even than I need to supply very good CO2 and flow or algae pop up. To learn how to grow plants (not algae) 2x54w would be more than sufficient for almost every plant as dutchy suggested. And it would make your life much easier. If you are really stubborn like me, make sure you have a hood with the option between 2 and 4 lamps to turn on at a time.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
If you can run the outer outside pair of bulbs and not the middle, that would be best.

It'll give you better light spread.

iplayrock

Junior Poster
Feb 27, 2013
Port Angeles, Washington
Light strength

Thanks all for your advice. I decided to just run the outer two lights for a total of 108 watts. I didn't want to be restricted as to what types of plants I could grow so, that's why I had so much light at first. I guess that was overkill. Again thanks for all your help, I will let you know as things progress.:D

SkinnyWhitekid

Junior Poster
Mar 13, 2013
A, A
Tom Barr;95153 said:
That's a ton of light, I have 2x this amount, but my tank is over 2x as large, so I have less light actually by type and watts.

You can grow anything and likely more than you want.

But.......it can get away from you with all that light pretty easily, more is not better for many folks.

What do you mean by it can get away from you pretty easily? Like lost through the tank or just electric bill wise or..?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
SkinnyWhitekid;95237 said:
What do you mean by it can get away from you pretty easily? Like lost through the tank or just electric bill wise or..?

Or you will have too much light for your c02 levels...light is what drives c02 and nutrient demand. It is very difficult at times to have sufficient and stable c02 in an aquarium with fish and inverts. c02 is a killer and is not easy to 'know' what the actual ppm value is.

So, using 4 bulbs may prove too much for a given c-2 method or amount while 3 or 4 tubes would be too much. Poor c02 leads to poor plant growth and the general detriment of the tank.

iplayrock

Junior Poster
Feb 27, 2013
Port Angeles, Washington
Light strength

Hi again everyone.
I guess I should have mentioned that "at this moment" I am using D.I.Y. C02. I have 3-1 liter bottles and 1-1liter bottle for a Gas chamber running into the intake of my canister filter. I do not have a bubble counter
or glass diffuser. The plants I am attempting to grow are.....Alternanthera reinekii Roseafolia, Rotala wallichii,
Rotala Rotundifloia, Cryptocoryne Undulata, anubias Barteri Nana, Eleocharis Montevidesis, Lilaeopsis Maurtiana and finally Micranthemum Umbrosum. So, with D.I.Y. C02 and only running two 54 watt 6500K T5's for 10 hours a day, will that be enough to grow these plants well?