light question on midday bursts

naz

Junior Poster
Dec 29, 2008
croydon
hi forum....i have a 4 x 39w hto t5 light on my 260l tank,im only running 2x39 at the moment for 8 hours,but it dont seem to be inoth light to get the carpet plants to spead,hc,and glosso,im thinking of running a long midday burst 5 hours or so long, to kick start the hc and glosso to spead...my question is how fast shall i raise the lighting,should i do it all at once,or 1 or 2 hours a week,cause i dont wont to get any algea growing......:)
BY LEE

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
Biollante;45194 said:
The main thread is here http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/6802-cant-get-a-carpet-going-no-matter-wot-i-do that explains Lee' situation.

i would think it better to answer stich with that thread than confuse Lee and everyone else. :)

Biollante
You are right.

It is a bit confusing. The same question was asked on the main thread. It does make it a bit hard to keep up with. That's OK through. It's whatever the OP wants to do.

naz;45191 said:
hi forum....i have a 4 x 39w hto t5 light on my 260l tank,im only running 2x39 at the moment for 8 hours,but it dont seem to be inoth light to get the carpet plants to spead,hc,and glosso,im thinking of running a long midday burst 5 hours or so long, to kick start the hc and glosso to spead...my question is how fast shall i raise the lighting,should i do it all at once,or 1 or 2 hours a week,cause i dont wont to get any algea growing......:)
BY LEE
naz;45135 said:
hi forum...can anyone give me any info on my lighting on my tank,im thinking of running a long midday burst ,aabout 5 hours,to try and kick start this hc and glosso in to speading,tryed to up it before in the past,and iv started to get algea problems,i dont no if i uped it to fast,or not enoth co2 application,how fast would up the lighting a week,and wot sort of midday burst would u run,can anyone give me any advice on this, i would be very greatfu

scratchinghead.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

naz

Junior Poster
Dec 29, 2008
croydon
yes it is a bit...thought it was a diffirent forum when i posted it...the planted tank...but then relized it was the same forum i posted it before...you never seem to get a straight answer on this forum,it like getting blood out of a stone...

BigFlusher

Prolific Poster
Dec 25, 2009
Sun City West, AZ
naz;45197 said:
yes it is a bit...thought it was a diffirent forum when i posted it...the planted tank...but then relized it was the same forum i posted it before...you never seem to get a straight answer on this forum,it like getting blood out of a stone...

DaBub's answer seemed pretty straight forward over at http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/6802-cant-get-a-carpet-going-no-matter-wot-i-do.

How posting another thread and not bothering to give the information is supposed to get you an answer you prefer is beyond me.

Of course you can post anywhere you wish. However as Biollante said it does seem rude.

Joe

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Ask away any way you wish. I know in many cases I'll skip over posts that seem to have nothing to do with what I need to know or don't have any experience with. It helps to reference any other related threads though wince there's often details or ideas involved which can be expanded on.

Back to the "burst" question, ikm currently doing the exact opposite with a siesta as my lighting is perhaps too much. However, were I to use a midday burst I would start with a 90 minute increase and then drop that off. If your lamps are the same color temps I'd just use two timers and overlap the coverage in the middle which may be a simpler method overall.

-
S

naz

Junior Poster
Dec 29, 2008
croydon
hi shoggoth.. how you doing mate,thanks for the reply,im going too up the co2 too yellow like dubud said,then i will start with a 90m midday burst,and see how i go,if that works out ok ,and theres no aglea ishoes,then i will up it slowly say an hour a week,till i get to about a 4 or 5 hour burst....i keep reading on these forum that loads of people are running very high lighting say 4 x 54w and 4 x39w on there 240l tanks,full 8 hours of lighting,and i cant work out how thay are doing these,thay must be running realy realy hi co2,iv only bin doing planted tanks for the last 1 1/2 years,quit new to this hobby,iv tryed uping my light about 4 or 5 times,and every time i get algea ploblems[diotom brown algea]i dont no why this is,my flow in my tank is very good,i can see tiny bubble all over the tank,it must be down to the co2,i think,at the moment my co2 is running at about 3 or 4 maybe 5 bps,too fast to count realy....

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Brown diatoms typically are either a nutrient issue - not enough of something, or a flow issue. You can always cheat and add some ottocinclus and let them eat it, but that doesn't deal with the underlying issue. :) I found that flow is often not nearly as good as you would think. Using the CO2 "mist" will at least let you visualize the flow since you can see the bubbles blowing around, but you'd be surprised at how easily even one stem plant can kill the flow in an area.

My biocube runs with a 250gph rated pump ( not getting that kind of output since I use that pump as my needlewheel/CO2 injector ) and I've got a koralia nano in there, so in theory I should have something like 500 gph of flow in a 25ish gallon tank. There's just no way that's happening and the center of the tank with the driftwood and the E. Bleheri is most likely a stagnant center of the gyre so I'm thinking of some locline and splitters in the near future. I'm putting in something like 3-5 BPS which seems like a lot and I had lots of algae. I started adding Excel ( 2 capfuls daily ) and the algae is slowly dropping off and I dose EI for a 40 gallon. I don't dose K2S04 and don't have CSM so I dose Flourish and Flourish iron ( capful of each every other day ). Lots of variables here for comparing our two tanks.

I only use ONE of the PC lights and still loads of algae. Most likely I have a missing nutrient which I don't have a test kit for, maybe K from the lack of K2S04 or maybe even the SO4 for all I know. My BPS won't be the same as yours due to variables in the CO2 system, but I've had my 5lb tank now for 8+months so I KNOW that I'm not really pushing all that much in there despite the bubble count compared to others who run a 5lb tank dry in 3 months on a 55gallon tank. Substrate is Flourish.

I've got a decent load in the tank, four ottos, maybe 12 black neons, 6 cories, and a dozen amano shrimp and some undetermined number of ghost shrimp < a dozen. Based on what I've read I should have a pristine tank and I have some ideas as to why. Mostly down to flow and/or CO2, but I can't discount the possibility that I've got some other inutrient issues going on. I also give the plants a "free" "CO2 bath" weekly during maintenance when I drop the water level down to an inch or two so I can prune and whatnot.

Maybe some of that helps give you some ideas of things to try. I'd start with CO2 and FLOW but Biollante can give you much better dosing advice than I can. An easy way to play with CO2 and flow is the needlewheel method and just start aiming it around the tank a bit and see what happens. The larger Koralia will help too. You may want to go up a size larger than you think you need since it's so easy to block the flow. The new ones should be out soon and they are supposedly less power, more flow, and smaller.

-
S