This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Light for non-CO2 nano tank

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by PK1, Mar 25, 2013.

1. PK1

PK1 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    8:30 PM
    I have posted a few threads about my nano project and I have one remaining question, so here it goes.

I have a 6-gallon nano tank that I want to set up as a low-maintenance non-CO2 tank; The tank has 2 x 24W bulbs already built into it, which considering it is only a 6 gallon tank seems way overkill @ 8 watts/gallon. And here's where I get a little fuzzy about the W/Gal math: I know this is far from an exact science with a lot of different variables that play into it, but I don't really want to get a PAR meter for this project so I'll have to come up with the best estimate that I can. My understanding is that the W/Gal metric applies a little differently for smaller tanks, but I don't know exactly in what sense. What I do know, is that the current set-up has too much light. So to reduce the light to the reasonable range, I can easily remove one of the bulbs, but then I am still at 4 W/Gallon. My understanding is that for a non-CO2 tank, the acceptable range is about 2 W/Gal or about half as much as I'll have.

Assuming this is correct, here are my questions:

1- Will one bulb (24W) have too much light for a low-maintenance tank. If so, and considering I'd prefer not to rewire the package, which is my best option:
    2- I can cover the light by some semi-transparent material to reduce the intensity, but I am not sure if such a material would filter out any light color that plant would need, nor do I really know what material to use!
    3- I can cover the reflector by some black material to reduce the intensity
    4- I can get an 18W bulb that would fit, but I haven't been able to find any at 6500K. Also, would an 18W bulb operate correctly in a set-up that is designed for 24W?

I have attached pictures to show the set-up. Thanks for the help!

2. PK1

PK1 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    No love??? ;)

3. UDGags

UDGags Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
  4. thegasman

thegasman Subscriber

Local Time:
    I agree. One bulb with at least one layer of window screen and maybe even two layers would be better. You can always remove one layer down the road to see what the effect is. Blacking out the reflector is a good idea along with the window screen.

5. PK1

PK1 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Thanks all, I like the idea of the screen.