This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Light Calculator questionable?

Discussion in 'Rotala Butterfly Support & Feedback Forum' started by tiger15, Aug 12, 2017.

1. tiger15

tiger15 Member

Local Time:
    11:05 AM
    The form looks good. The hard part is to solicit people to submit the data.

2. Mittens

Mittens New Member

Local Time:
    12:05 PM
    So am I understanding this correctly?

The calculator says that 12 x 5W Cree LEDs (I'm using Cree-XP-g2 to be specific) should be 10" above a 48wx12lx13h tank with 4" substrate to give me a PAR of 55.

upload_2017-9-21_8-0-14.png

However, the calculator assumes all these LEDs are on the same strip across the tank.

Given that 6 lights suspended 5" above this tank would give me similar PAR (according to this calculator)...

If I divide my lights between two fixtures @ 6 lights/rail, then I can space the fixtures so I have about 6" between the front lights and the back lights, at a height of 5" above the tank. This should give me some adequate level of "high" light that would be manageable with pressurized CO2 and minor dimming/raising to account for the overlapping light?

3. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    8:05 AM
    Yes, I think so Mittens. I think that by doing what you are suggesting you should get around 100 PAR at the substrate. The calculator is not too far from that.