This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Light Calculator questionable?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by tiger15, Aug 12, 2017 at 9:43 AM.

1. tiger15

tiger15 New Member

In my 75 gal set up, I have 3 - 48" LED strip lights with a total of 265 diodes, 112 Watt , and 13416 Lumen.

Using the light calculator in http://www.rotalabutterfly.com/light-calculator.php, I came up with 204 PAR at substrate level, which will put my light in extremely high light regime. That doesn't sound right as I only have 1.46 watt per gal.

Did I do something wrong or the calculator is wrong?

upload_2017-8-12_10-22-21.png

2. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber

Pay more attention to the lumens estimate.

'Watts per gallon' is kinda meaningless. Light fixtures differ greatly in the efficiency with which they deliver light for the amount of power they use. A T5 fixture out of the box has some given intensity of light it puts out. Install some reflectors in that fixture, and the power consumption doesn't change, but the lighting efficiency does vastly!

The calculator doesn't sound too far off -- I'm using a single BML 90 degree MC series strip over a tank similar to yours, dialed back to about 70%. Three 60 degree strips on fully is definitely going to be really intense. You'd probably do best to cut it to two fixtures to get decent spread, and dial them back to something like 40-50%.

3. tiger15

tiger15 New Member

I understand that the old watt per gal rule is based on T12 FL bulb which is less efficient than LED. I tried a calculation using 4 T12 FL bulbs, 40 watt each, and came up with only 20 PAR. Does the calculator suggest that my 3 LED strip is 10 times as efficient as 4 T12. That doesn't sound right.

I tried an alternate light intensity estimation method below that tells me my light is low to medium.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/lighting-a-planted-tank.73446/

Which estimate should I believe.

How I can tell I have too much light? I have never observed pearling and see zero to slow growth in my plants. My LED are cheap light I bought from eBay and I was considering adding more light to promote growth.

#3 tiger15, Aug 12, 2017 at 10:26 PM
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 6:52 AM