light and filter for NON CO2 tank

ramis

Junior Poster
Feb 6, 2008
I am starting a new 20 gallon planted tank and plan to use Tom Barr's NON CO2 method. I have Aquaclear 200 power filter. Is it OK to use for a non CO2 tank, or will it evaporate CO2 too much? I so, what filter do you think would be suitable for a tank this size?

Also, I am not sure how strong the lights should be. I am looking at Nova Extreme HO T5 fixture with 2x24W, which would give me 2.4w/gal and another choice is Aqualight T5 fixture with 2X14w.

I don't want to have too much light and algae problems, but I am afraid to have too little also.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
the most I'd ever put over a 20 gal 24" long tank would be 2x 20W, even that;'s sort of high, 30 watt would be better.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Mooner

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2006
Colorado
ramis;22813 said:
I am starting a new 20 gallon planted tank and plan to use Tom Barr's NON CO2 method. I have Aquaclear 200 power filter. Is it OK to use for a non CO2 tank, or will it evaporate CO2 too much? I so, what filter do you think would be suitable for a tank this size?

On my 20 gal non-carbon tank I use a whisper 40 on the highest setting. Gets cleaned once a week.

ramis;22813 said:
Also, I am not sure how strong the lights should be. I am looking at Nova Extreme HO T5 fixture with 2x24W, which would give me 2.4w/gal and another choice is Aqualight T5 fixture with 2X14w.

Also on the above mentioned tank I use a single T8 5500k 24" on a DIY AHSupply reflector at 6" above water line.

ramis;22813 said:
I don't want to have too much light and algae problems, but I am afraid to have too little also.

IME T5 are to much. I tried at first and it was:eek:

Make sure to add small amount of macs and mics weekly or bi-monthly and photo period around 10 hrs.

tkos

Junior Poster
Sep 7, 2007
Power filters will be fine as far at CO2 goes. Normally you don't use them with CO2 injected tanks as it will off gas the added CO2 too fast. As you are dealing with atmospheric CO2, well surface agitation is good, it means more gas exchange.

ramis

Junior Poster
Feb 6, 2008
Thank you all for your replies. I think I will get Aqualight with two 14w lights, so it will be 1.4w per gallon. That shouldn't be too much. And I'll just use my Aquaclear HOB filter. There is so much conflicting information on the web, I thought that surface agitation will deplete CO2 in the water.

Thanks again:)