This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Lifting Power of Peristaltic Pumps

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by Paul G, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Paul G

Paul G Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:59 PM
    I have some dosing pumps that i would like to return to service, but a condition I have is that the apparatus (fert vats and pumps) must be below the aquarium. Those who have experience with peristaltic pumps (the type very typically used for dosing) may be able to give me a clue as to what I may expect if I want about a six foot lift. Is this too much vertical distance? I will experiment for sure, but thought it would be wise to get some comments first.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    You should do a test run using water and a container, then see and measure.
    If you place the pumps up near the top of the tank and have an air gap between the outflow and the tank to prevent back siphoning, then this would be the best set up in the ferts cannot be placed up high.

I do not suggest placing the dosing pumps 6 ft below, even they can handle the head pressure.

3. Florin Ilia

Florin Ilia Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    One of the advantages of having a wet/dry filter is that you can dose in the sump, no need to lift the solutions (and you can also place all sort of gadgets there).

4. Paul G

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    With my current setup, the wet/dry arrangement is not feasible. Although I did consider engineering a small sump loop for this purpose, I wanted to consider simpler methods first.

Tom, if I understand you, the fert vats can be below the tank, but the pumps themselves should be above, so the long part of the path is the draw side, avoiding head pressure on the output side. This is the best overall arrangement anyway, so that's great.

My plan would be to keep the fert vats high, so the bottoms of the two litre bottles are maybe 5 feet below the surface of the tank water, but I will need to go about 3 feet horizontally. Do you see difficulties in this? If not, I will set up an experiment and test it.

Thanks. Regards, Paul G

5. DanielSev

DanielSev Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Hi, I'm using an Aquamedic SP1500 peristaltic pump (pumps 1.5 liters per hour) below my tank, at about 90 cm (3 ft) from the tank rim. No problems so far, although it is used just 1 minute every day. Aquamedic instructions state that you have to mount the pump above the fertz reservoir, but below your tank. It is also possible to mount it above your tank.

See:
    http://www.aqua-medic.de/manuals/SP-manual_128803233962.pdf

Best wishes,
    Daniel

6. Paul G

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I managed to arrange for the fert vat/dosing pump to be inside the cabinet under the aquarium. The total height from bottom of vat to aquarium rim is 58". The original location for this was on top of the hood, which of course worked fine but was just too unsightly.

The Aquamedic SP3000 runs about 90 seconds every day. There does not appear to be a problem with getting the needed lift.

Using API Fungus Cure does prevent clumpy scum buildup in the vat - a tip I picked up, I think, on this forum. I also aerate it with a small stone.

7. gsjmia

gsjmia Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Funny you should ask. I recently did a test and took pictures and have been meaning to post the results, which I will try to do tonight.

Bottom line, I used a Drew's Dosing Pump from Bulk Marine and it pumped about 18' with zero loss. Based on the peristaltic method of pumping using four rollers, I would be surprised if other similar pumps wouldn't get the same results.

Here is one of the pictures.

[attachment=1110:name]

Here is the new thread I started with all the pictures: http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/10213-18-Lift-and-Peristaltic-Pump-Not-Limited-by-Head-Pressure

IMG_0119.jpg

#7 gsjmia, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2012