LFS Pet Peeves

Dfish2020

Jul 8, 2017
US
Hi guys new to the forum, hope you and your tanks are doing well..

So I'm curious to know some of your pet peeves or frustrations with your lfs, disclosing store is not needed but I sure can't stop you.

My first pet peeve would be when they store has an assortment of potted plants and none of them are labeled! I am one that wants to know what exactly what's going in my tank.

Second would be that store who keeps 55 gallon tanks with a hodge podge mix of 5 or more species in the same tank.

Anyways got that off my chest feel free to share yours, heck maybe a store owner is out there lurking and can use this information to better a business. [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
My pet peeve, is when you say (for example), " can I have 5 Celestial Pearl Danios" and then they net a giant zebra danio, "no that's not a CPD sir....?" then he says "yea it is" then I flip the table, drop the mic and walk out.

SingAlongWithTsing

Junior Poster
Feb 17, 2016
SoCal
not enough plants and hardscape. i mean they have a lot of malaysian driftwood but that's about it. manzanita might be there every now and then but eh. kinda pissed at myself for skipping out on usual weekly visit cuz someone snagged all the wood in their 220 display lol.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
not enough plants and hardscape. i mean they have a lot of malaysian driftwood but that's about it. manzanita might be there every now and then but eh. kinda pissed at myself for skipping out on usual weekly visit cuz someone snagged all the wood in their 220 display lol.

Pester me then.

Dale Hazey

Junior Poster
Feb 18, 2017
I agree with Syn, the rush to net a fish with lightning speed. I live in a big city, but there ain't much in the way of plants available. Most lfs besides Petco and PetSmart are just salt water. There is 1 dedicated freshwater but no plants. One of the saltwater stores has a small section of freshwater and one 120g tank with plants, very pricey though, and they usually look bad. Petco sometimes gets an assortment of different stem plants that are in water not tubes, usually unlabeled. The fish there are always dead and the tanks empty. PetSmart near me has a massive die off of their entire fish stock every 2 months. There is only one tropica dealer about 20 miles away through heavy traffic. That store has tons of plants, but they are very expensive.

Dale

Last edited:
Reactions: DutchMuch