Levamisole and plants

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Curious Question, Indeed

abcemorse;41164 said:
Wondering if levamisole (dewormer) has any affect on plants? Just curious........

Hi,

See Disclaimer.

Curious as to why you are curious. Have an intended use. Care to share?:)

I do not see anything that looks harmful to plants, especially if you are staying at or under 2 ppm, which I think is kind of general recommended dose for Levamisole, somewhat higher if it is Levamisole HCI.

“They” use this stuff on me and so far no bad effect, no worms either!:D

Levamisole Hydrochloride — Loaches Online has Clown Loach, Levamisole related information.

If you use it let us know, you will be contributing to the body of knowledge.:cool:

Biollante

abcemorse

Prolific Poster
Sep 8, 2008
Levamisole HCL is very effective in treating camallanus when dosed at 12-15 ppm for around 48 hrs. You have to pay attention to the fish, as some do not take it so well, be ready for water changes if you see real problems. My reason for asking is that generally the treatment is repeated about a week later to kill off any eggs that may have matured (not effective on eggs, only adult worms). I've noticed BBA popping up after first treatment, but I've also had issues with my needle valve (POS Milwaukee) and I just wondered if the treatment might be stressing plants or if it's just the CO2, or both....as it stands now I won't really be able to tell since both are happening at the same time, and more than likely will be resolved at the same time. I've treated before and not seen any real outward signs of plant issues as far as discoloration or defoliation, but I wonder if it may slow/stunt growth temporarily contributing to BBA (and other algae) issues.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Red Nematodes

Hi,

As long as you are sure of the 12-15 ppm, Levamisole HCL, I don't see a direct problem for the plants, a big water change, I see one site recommends no more than 30% to avoid 'stressing' the fish. My recommendation is to do a 50% water change to avoid stressing the fish and plants.;)

My bet would be on the Milwaukee needle-valve being the problem alga wise.:rolleyes:

The only way the Levamisole HCL would be responsible for BGA if it is somehow weakening the system. In fact it seems the Levamisole HCL should if anything suppress BGA.

I guess if I would go ahead, if possible changing out the questionable needle valve, it just seems you are adding to many variables to determine causes. At the first sign of things going sideways, I would not hesitate doing a 50%, me more like 70% water change.

I think if I saw red nematodes coming out of my fish, I would give this a shot.:)

Biollante

abcemorse

Prolific Poster
Sep 8, 2008
Update

Well, it seems the treatment was successful, due to the nature of the parasite I won't be sure for several weeks (not my first go around with this nasty.) As far as the plants go, it appears I have a small diatom outbreak, brown stuff on leaves and filter tubes, seems to be clearing though...I can't say that it's due to the levamisole or the CO2 issue, (could be both, without a way to isolate I'll never really know:rolleyes: ) but i do think things seem to have slowed as far as growth is concerned, particularly the rotala which coincidentally shows the most as far what I think are diatoms. We'll see how things go after a couple more weeks of WCs

Needle valve seems better now, cleaned it and increased service pressure a little. Sumo set up is on my wish list, we'll see how that goes........

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Ideal Is, Well Ideal

Hi,

I am glad to hear of the apparent success, those are nasty little boogers and tough to kill off entirely.

It does sound as though you triggered a diatom bloom. I am not a great believer in coincidence. The Rotala sounds like CO2, but I wonder with the combination, it almost seems like a new tank.

I read big water changes, vacuuming the gravel after treatment is a good idea anyway. I am a water change fanatic; I would probably be doing 60-70% water changes every 2 or 3 days.:eek:

I have heard nothing but good things about Sumo, I have been happy with my Rex builts.:)

If your needle valve is the main issue I really like the Ideal 51-1-12 Needle Valve that both Rex and Sumo use and my guess is they just might ‘credit’ the purchase as it will certainly continue to be useful when you get the better regulator. For US $70 or so might go a long way toward stabilizing CO2 your situation.

The Best Aquarium Regulator & CO2 Parts and Home - SuMo CO2 Regulators for Planted and Reef Aquariums

Keep us posted and good luck.:)

Biollante

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
abcemorse;41458 said:
Well, it seems the treatment was successful, due to the nature of the parasite I won't be sure for several weeks (not my first go around with this nasty.) As far as the plants go, it appears I have a small diatom outbreak, brown stuff on leaves and filter tubes, seems to be clearing though...I can't say that it's due to the levamisole or the CO2 issue, (could be both, without a way to isolate I'll never really know:rolleyes: ) but i do think things seem to have slowed as far as growth is concerned, particularly the rotala which coincidentally shows the most as far what I think are diatoms. We'll see how things go after a couple more weeks of WCs

Needle valve seems better now, cleaned it and increased service pressure a little. Sumo set up is on my wish list, we'll see how that goes........

Watch closely for a few weeks.
The product should not harm the plants.

Fish lice treatments also should work reasonably well. Common with Koi.

Regards,
Tom Barr