Leonardite

srozell

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
I've been searching for a supplier of this stuff online and offline and have had no success.

Can anyone specify a brand name or a store where they purchace this stuff from? All I'm able to find is liquids in which Leonardite is "used".

discocarp

Junior Poster
May 31, 2005
Re: Leonardite

I just ordered this from gchydro.com. The brand name is "Diamond Black". I can't vouch for this place other than that they have it. Its my first order with them and I just placed it this week. :)

Dolfan

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Apr 2, 2005

Diamond Black is the stuff. I ordered mine from a local hydroponics store. 12 lbs for $40. If you punch in Diamond Black leonardite on google you will get quite a few online sources.

srozell

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

Thank you. Now to source it in Canada...

I do happen to live in the Grow-op capital of BC, so I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to find here.

jonathan11

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005

What % (either by volume or weight) of leonardite should be added to the substrate? Is this mixed with the lower portion of say, Onyx sand, and then covered with pure Onxy sand? I realize everyone is a little different, but with a planted tank, is there a good rule of thumb to use for the required depth of the substrate?
Thx in advance.

Walter :gw :D

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

I add about 1/4 / 1cm on the bottom, mix some mulm and a dusting of peat, cap with 3-4" of onyx or Flourite etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr