This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Leonardite

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by srozell, Jun 3, 2005.

1. srozell

srozell Guru Class Expert

I've been searching for a supplier of this stuff online and offline and have had no success.

Can anyone specify a brand name or a store where they purchace this stuff from? All I'm able to find is liquids in which Leonardite is "used".

2. discocarp

discocarp Junior Poster

Re: Leonardite

I just ordered this from gchydro.com. The brand name is "Diamond Black". I can't vouch for this place other than that they have it. Its my first order with them and I just placed it this week. :)

3. Dolfan

Dolfan Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Diamond Black is the stuff. I ordered mine from a local hydroponics store. 12 lbs for $40. If you punch in Diamond Black leonardite on google you will get quite a few online sources.

4. srozell

srozell Guru Class Expert

Thank you. Now to source it in Canada...

I do happen to live in the Grow-op capital of BC, so I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to find here.

5. jonathan11

jonathan11 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

What % (either by volume or weight) of leonardite should be added to the substrate? Is this mixed with the lower portion of say, Onyx sand, and then covered with pure Onxy sand? I realize everyone is a little different, but with a planted tank, is there a good rule of thumb to use for the required depth of the substrate?
    Thx in advance.

Walter :gw :D

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

I add about 1/4 / 1cm on the bottom, mix some mulm and a dusting of peat, cap with 3-4" of onyx or Flourite etc.

Regards,
    Tom Barr