This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

leeches and orange worms

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by crystalview, Oct 28, 2008.

1. crystalview

crystalview Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    11:39 PM
    I have had large out breaks of black leeches. I also had them crawl to the water surface and die. They are only in the gravel. I have not been able to get rid of them 100% I found one again yesterday. So I am guessing they are loaded in my gravel again. I was going to do my weekly vac today. I removed the towels I keep on so the direct morning sun does not reach the tank. When I removed the towels I found what looks like worms and egg sacks. They were not there at midnight but were at 9am. I do feed California black worms and have for 3 years with no problem. I bred them and they do not look like what I now have in my tank. The leeches have never bothered the fish. But I think they riddle the planted bulbs. I don't know what to treat all of this with or what these orange worms are. What ever they secrete the leech also show the orange slim on it. I really need idea's for this problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tedr108

tedr108 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Never seen anything like this... I cannot understand why your fish are not eating them.

3. crystalview

crystalview Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I talked about the leeches on two other forums with no luck on anybody having knowledge about them.
    The orange worms, Who knows! I guess I should use clout or something. I wiped them off and there are still a few at the water's surface.

4. "Q"

"Q" Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    WHat kind of fish do you have in the tank?

5. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Strangely, Interesting, Would You Consider A Little Dissection?

Hi,

What are they eating?

Is there a sucker/jaw? How many?

When held in your hand does it attach itself?

How many body segments? How many annuli on each body segment?:confused:

For the obvious, they appear to be class Hirudinea in the phylum Annelida, possibly Glossosiphonia heteroclite. :rolleyes:

Can you get a better picture? Drop a few into some soda water, Alka-Seltzer whatever lay them out, pin them if necessary and photograph them on a dark background and on a light background. If you can photograph through a magnifying glass that would be great.:cool:

Biollante

6. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Me Again, Nothing But Questions

Hi,

Do the orange worms have a sucker or jaw at one or both ends?

Do the orange things look kind of like miniature orange earthworms?

Kind of looks like a freshwater oligochaete, perhaps tubifex.

Could it be the worms are transparent and the orange or red is really their blood vessels?

Do you see things that look like tiny cocoons? They would be small, perhaps a little more than 1.5-mm by less than 1-mm.

Biollante

7. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    A Little Compassion

Hi,

This being posted to both here and to Mistern2005’s “Help Eradicating Leechs”.:gw

To be entirely honest without additional information I am not convinced these are harmful, may even be beneficial, beyond Bill’s get rich quick scheme. :rolleyes:

To be entirely honest I find it more than a little disconcerting how anxious people are to kill things:eek: they do not understand, especially since neither, Mistern2005 nor Crystalview has provided any evidence or statement of damages. :eek:

• All we know so far is these guys were transported to an aquarium and are just trying to make a living.

I do not mean that to be as harsh as it may sound:), but these guys got there somehow, whether failure of quarantine, sanitization or whatever, as long as they do not appear to be harming anyone, let’s try to figure out who they are.:cool:

Biollante

8. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Stupid Is As Stupid Does

Hi,

Wow, do I feel stupider than usual…
    :eek:

Three posts to an zombie thread… Well now four!
    :eek::rolleyes::eek:

Stupidly yours,
    Biollante

9. "Q"

"Q" Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    My fault bio, I swear this came up in "whats new" though.

In any case I'm glad to have looked at it.

Leeches exuding a weird orange substance yum!:D