LED Par levels for planted tank

oliverpool

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2011
Could someone advise what would constitute low/mid/high par levels for led lights at the substrate?

I would also assume that par levels at the substrate is what's important. It does not matter the par level at the top of the water levels where some drift wood branches could be with moss and mini pellia? I notice that even in a 18" deep tank, the difference in par levels at the top and bottom is insane! It's anywhere fr 3-5 times difference. Just wonder if I may need to make any landscape changed as a whole bunch of my mini pellia is at the middle to top of my tank in this case.

I recalled somewhere that Tom said to aim for 30-50 par levels at the substrate. I got confused as people seem to be recommending different par levels for t5 and led. Not sure why there could be a difference?

PapaBear

Junior Poster
Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2013
Quezon City, Philippines
Hi there.

The following attachments may prove useful. I just got this from the internet and seems to be good references.

[attachment=1597:name]
[attachment=1598:name]

Par levels at substrate is important because once you have good PAR (Tom is right at the 30 to 50 range) at that level, basically its all good as you go higher near the surface. The difference is really significant. In fact, if you have a PAR meter and measure the PAR level just at the surface of the water and immediately under the surface, the difference is significant. Factors such as clarity of water will come into play, density, etc. That is why aim for a good level at the substrate because that is the farthest distance from the light will be.

I am also not sure of the difference between PAR levels of T5 and LED. I use LED and use 6500k Cree bulbs.

T5HO Par Chart..JPG

Par_Plants.jpg

Reactions: SteveR

Whiskey

Jun 14, 2010
San Diego, CA
That is a really cool chart! But I question the min par numbers. I've been growing Anubius in 12 PAR, and Crypt in 20 quite successfully.

I've heard 15-30 is low light, 30-50 is Med light and 50+ is high light, but it is somewhat subjective.

Whiskey

PapaBear

Junior Poster
Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2013
Quezon City, Philippines
I totally agree. I think the "min" numbers there are really "safe" numbers. I was also able to grow nice anubias and crypts at lower PAR levels and the plants don't mind. Actually, some of them probably do better because they are really low light plants. I just use the chart for reference.

Cheers!

PapaBear

Junior Poster
Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2013
Quezon City, Philippines
I totally agree. I think the "min" numbers there are really "safe" numbers. I was also able to grow nice anubias and crypts at lower PAR levels and the plants don't mind. Actually, some of them probably do better because they are really low light plants. I just use the chart for reference.

Cheers!

oliverpool

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2011
PapaBear;118102 said:

Cheers!

I saw the 2nd chart but thought it was not clear. It did not state at the substrate or at the top. And 125 as ideal for anubias seems really high!

Its true... the par levels is really alot difference just above the water and just below.

I guess I will aim for 30-50 at the substrate for med light so that my tank is more stable.

Last edited by a moderator:

oliverpool

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2011
PapaBear;118102 said:

Cheers!

I saw the 2nd chart but thought it was not clear. It did not state at the substrate or at the top. And 125 as ideal for anubias seems really high!

Its true... the par levels is really alot difference just above the water and just below.

I guess I will aim for 30-50 at the substrate for med light so that my tank is more stable.