LED color aesthetics

Booger

Junior Poster
Apr 28, 2005
I've been reading this thread on a reef forum with some curiousity (some might recognize the OP as a former? plant tank guy). The key takeaway is that reefers are starting to experiment beyond the typical white/blue mix by including a host of other colors in their arrays. Red, cyan, UV, cool white, etc.

How can we apply a similar concept to FW plant setups? There are a lot of LED's available in the 5500k-6500k color temp range, but I can't help but wonder if we're missing out by not including a wider variety of color.

Edit: Whoops, wrong forum. No way to delete?

Last edited by a moderator:

liquidity

Junior Poster
Jun 7, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Whatever forum it's in, I agree that judicious use of colored LEDs could really be a good thing for planted tanks. I went to Aqua Forest Aquarium in San Francisco yesterday and they have a small tank in front with Hawaiian Volcano Shrimp. These shrimp are very small and very red. There were no plants in this tank, only rocks, but it had barely noticeable dark red lighting that really made the tank interesting. I'm not suggesting that red-only lighting is the way to go, but it made me think that depending on what plants I'm growing, a few mild colored LEDs may really bring out the colors.