This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Leaving for the weekend, what to do about dosing?

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by IndianaSam, Jul 29, 2005.

1. IndianaSam

IndianaSam Junior Poster

Okay, I just found out that I'm leaving for the weekend. My usual dosing of ferts is macros on Sat, Mon, Wed, Fri and micros on the other days. 70% water changes are done on Saturday mornings.

So, if I'm not around to do these what should I do? It's too late for me to arrange for someone else to come by my house and do the dosing for me. Also I don't have an automatic feeder that I can use to dose with while I'm gone.

My thought is that I should leave the lights off while I'm gone and go ahead and do my water change today before I leave. Then the plants won't go through the nutrients while I'm gone. I'm really afraid of my NO3 bottoming out and the ensuing algae issues (ugh, I've had some bad problems with BGA in the past).

So, any advise? Anything would be appreciated.

2. Ian H

Ian H Guru Class Expert

Re: Leaving for the weekend, what to do about dosing?

I wouldn't think that 2 or 3 days would make any difference at all. Maybe add a little more KNO3 on your fridays dose if that worries you or test for nitrates and do a rough calculation. Certainly leave your lights and everything else as normal, on the assumption you have your lights on a timer of course. Don't feed the fish they will be OK without food for a lot longer than a weekend. Maybe just give them a little extra (don't go mad) before you set off.

Above all don't panic. :)

Ian

3. IndianaSam

IndianaSam Junior Poster

I can't help but panic! Do you know how much I hate BGA? :)

Anyway, I'll just take your advice. The lights are on a timer so that won't be a problem.

Thanks,
    Sam

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Ditto on what Iam said, don't worry, I leave for a week without issue, but you can add a tad more macro's etc.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. Dolfan

Dolfan Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

I am leaving for 3 full days. My discus fish should be ok for that long without food correct? I'll stuff 'em good(w/food not taxidermy lol) before I go.

6. PK1

PK1 Guru Class Expert

I just came back from a 4 day vacation without problems... (well, the same green algae issue I have had for two weeks, but it didn't get any worse when I wasn't there).

7. matthewburk

matthewburk Junior Poster

I was thinking about this problem. I am goign to be gone for a week over christmas. I was thinking since I dry dose I would just use an automatic fish feeder for dosing.