"Layers" Fluval Spec V High Tech Aquascape

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Tank Specs

Gallons: 5 Gallons

Co2: http://greenleafaquariums.com/products/gla-gro-co2-system.html

Fertilizers: Dry Estimative Index Dosing (http://nilocg.com/diy-ei-liquid-fertilizer/)

Substrate: Inert Sand

Stock: Celestial Pearl Danios, Cherry Shrimp, Amano Shrimp.

Filtration: Added HOB, Built in Skimmer.

Plants: Pearlweed, Rotala Sp. Vietnam, Hydro. Japan.

cjj2PIK.jpg

t2VMJL3.jpg

lKhU6LC.jpg

gpOYkJY.jpg

Reactions: Dale Hazey

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Will post a video (maybe tonight or tomorrow for the video), and pictures tonight!! :)

Be prepared to feast your eyes!

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Its SUPER difficult to take a video of the tank doing a full tank shot, because when im recording I cant edit brightness or anything so when the light reflects off the bare sand its BRIGHT and blinds the entire tank basically. Anyone know how I can fix this if I can at all? :l really don't want to wait until the whole carpet fills in before I upload to you guys or YT again.

Anyway here are the LAZY pics I promised. Sorry they are pretty shitty, its because I was driving 4 days to go pick up a BRAND NEW, GERMAN SHEPHERD PUPPY :) she is five months old named Freeta, (free, ta) and is the blood sister to Ruby, our other 2 1/2 y/o german shepherd. These are the pure strain of GS's, not the "fake" kind or "hybrids" that get really big that you normally see. Pure GS's stay about... (for females) 2 1/2, 3 feet off of the ground to there back. Males are about 3 1/2 feet.

OK SORRY
PICS:
gE7Liq2.jpg

2les0oy.jpg

STILL LOOKING FOR AR MINI AND POGO ERECTUS PLEASE PM ME HOLY POO I CANT FIND THEM ANYWHERE!!!!
qGVAl6U.jpg

1jsyq2x.jpg

How it looks when I try (so hard) to record:

IICjxCg.jpg

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
I like your shrimp, really nice deep red. What other plants are you getting for this tank?
Ill post images tonight of what is in the tank now................................... :) ;) ;) ;) ;) :)
but uh all my shrimp got eaten by the amano's...... so no more deep red shrimp...

bshenanagins

Junior Poster
Mar 3, 2017
Bahahahahaha good one, gonna grab some amanos myself next week. The betta is doing well but he likes to hide. Plus he does not care for bloodworms, first betta I've had that isn't interested in them.

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
The betta is doing well but he likes to hide. Plus he does not care for bloodworms, first betta I've had that isn't interested in them.
ya know, I have actually in my entire hobby life, never fed bloodworms to any of my fish... Ive always stuck to the regular good ol' fish food (but its a certain kind of course, care for the fish to lol) But I presume I will start to feed them bloodworms soon when the next order comes in...

Also be careful with bettas and amanos... Amanos can eat the bettas fins, and the betta can eat the amanos. I'm sure you wont have an issue though because both of those occurrences pretty uncommon...

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
RKoJgOt.jpg

BRAND NEW HALF TANK SCAPE!!!!! because THE PLANTS ARE IN!!!

SHT2F4j.jpg

Had some Dragonfly larvae in the tank.. Killed 11 total! Had my windows open today so that's most likely why.
BsWTzGT.jpg

Updated Plant List:
Ludwigia "rubin"

Blyxa Japonica

Pearlweed

Java Moss

Rotala indica 'true'

Ludwigia Arcuata

Crypt (well, idk the ID)

aF31uir.jpg

Avsd9IC.jpg

rM3cnOy.jpg

SyaX36d.jpg

bshenanagins

Junior Poster
Mar 3, 2017
Neat! Can't wait for everything to grow in. Oh I'm not worried about the betta going after the amanos, he could careless about the ghosts that have survived. But I'll make sure to look out for the amanos nipping at the betta.

Reactions: DutchMuch

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
Neat! Can't wait for everything to grow in
I'm pretty excited myself!!! it will be a while though I'm sure before it grows in..
I adjusting the lighting, made it higher... Higher as in "more bright" and I witnessed pearling! was very rewarding to see that...

slipfinger

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Jul 23, 2016
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
I don't see any Blyxa Japonica in the tank. If you are referring to the two things that resemble Blyxa Japonica in the last picture, I don't think that is what it is,

This is Blyxa Japonica

Edit. I think you might have (Sagittaria subulata) Dwarf Sagittaria

Last edited:

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
@slipfinger No its blyxa... It just melted in the high tech because it came from my low tech. It was pretty big now its small again. before I moved it (other day to the spot that's in the pic, added 2 more aswell) it was taking off again.. Now I have to wait again lol!

DutchMuch

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2017
Arkansas
@slipfinger take my word for this one. I'm 110% absolutely cross my heart swear to die positive its blyxa japonica. I remember what it looked like when I had it in my low tech (not long ago) and when I bought it (half a year ago) exactly like your pic. it just melted and is coming back.
****update****
@slipfinger the adult leaves just grew in on the blyxa this week, ill take pics of it for you sometimes. Guess it likes this tank better than the last setup.

Last edited: