This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Lava Rock And Phosphates Problem?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by dav.tomassini, May 31, 2020.

1. dav.tomassini

dav.tomassini New Member

Local Time:
    7:47 PM
    Hi There,

I am not able to keep my phosphates level. In a matter of a couple of days a PO4 dose of 0.5ppm drops to non measurable values.

All the plants are struggling with deficiency symptoms mostly on the older leaves. For sure they are not consuming a lot of phosphates, first because there is not yet a lot of plants and second because they are stunting.

It is a low-tech 120L tank with liquid carbon (normal recommended dose) and RO water. I have never had this problem in the past. The only things that I have done differently this time is:
    - to use quite a bit of lava rock to support the substrate for the dragon stone aquascaping. At a rough guess,I have used about 15 Kg of lava rock
    - My eheim Prof 4+ 350T is fully packed with a lot of bio-media (susbstrate pro by eheim) as I am using a pre-filter for the mechanical filtration. It used to have far less bio-media (the one that comes included when you buy it!) in my previous set-up.

I have easy growing plants medium density, ADA soil and moderate light. Very,very standard and simple set-up...

I keep these values quite constant without problems apart from the PO4::
    KH 2
    PH=7
    Ca= 30 ppm
    Mg=10 ppm
    NO3= 10-15 ppm
    (PO4=0.5 ppm)
    Fe: 0,2 ppm
    K= 20ppm

and I also dose all the other traces moderately and I perform 50% weekly water changes.

Can it be the lava rock??

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Regards,
    Davide