This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Last chance - Green Thread Algae

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by dan_lup, Jun 9, 2012.

1. dan_lup

dan_lup Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    8:05 AM
    i cleaned the algaes with a toothbrush 2-3 times a week for 6 months. i couldn't take it ay more :D

thank you. i asked a friend of mine to bring his photo camera.

i will try to clean more often the external filter. for the moment only spirogyra seems to creep back in the aquarium

#61 dan_lup, May 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2013
  2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Does the algae grow mostly where the current hits the plants? If so, a little more CO2 and trimming those plants so as to NOT block the flow will be very helpful.

Toothbrush cleaning is tough, I uproot the plants and clean each one before replacing back.
    If they are too covered to be worthwhile, I toss the plants into my other tanks, the shrimp and good conditions there take care of it.
    Or I just throw the plant away.

I know Algaefix will kill these algae, but this will kill some shrimp also.
    Fish are okay, they do not like it, but tolerate it well.
    Plants are fine.

I'm still betting on a little bit of CO2 tweaking and then good cleaning, filter, trimming etc.

3. dan_lup

dan_lup Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    i am trying to find a pattern for these algaes (what type of plants they prefer, what position on the aquarium, etc). what i can tell you is that they love grass plants which are crowded (marsilea hirsuta, parvula, lilaeopsis brasiliensis). i threw al these plants and now i replanted these species. of course, my small lilaeopsis brasiliensis is full of spirogyra again but this time i will play tougher: i will throw away that part of the plant which is full of algaes. the toothbrush is not helping in this war.

i cannot tell 100% that the algae grows where the current hits the plant. we are speaking now only about spirogira, i did not see any signs of cladophora (last edit: i saw it on a leave of polygonum. this plant is like a magnet for these algaes!). if i am looking at the circuit of the water in the tank, it seems that you are right. i made a change in the set up, i got rid of my small Eheim water pump (it was choping the shrimps and it also killed an otto - i will start a new thread about this issue) and now i have only my external and internal filter which are moving the water.
    her favourite plant seems to be polygonum sp kawageoanum (single threads). in my lilaeopsis it formed a bunch.

i will try to increase the CO2 after i will buy a lab Ph tester. by the way, can you recommend me a good one? hanna instruments looks fine, but they are expensive

#63 dan_lup, May 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2013
  4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    American marine makes a decent easy to use/calibrate meter for about 90$ USD for pH.

I am not fond of anything Azoo/milwaukee.

5. Maxwell

Maxwell Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Well actually thank you for sharing those nice set of pictures. I hope that problem you have been facing don't exist now...but still if it does than let me know..a friend of mine has a friend who deals in this kind of thing. He can be of good help.

6. dan_lup

dan_lup Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    i managed to buy a Ph meter from Hanna Instruments which i was surprised (in a good way) to find out that it is produced here, in Romania. i think that i managed to calibrate it (i only used Ph 7 solution) and i made a measurement in my tank. the result: 6.2, which i think it is a little bit too low. so my problem is not CO2. i am trying to increase the Ph up to 6.4

7. aamir9110

aamir9110 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Ph meter

Hi Dan, hopefully you will have a great time fixing the algae with the Ph meter.
    I hope my recent experience will provide some useful insight.

I have had a few tanks before all to great start and then ending a few months later with algae and a busy life prevented me from much elbow grease to clean/ recover from.

Now I have a Ph meter and its much better !

Few observations :

1. calibrate with both fluids 7 and 4 or 10, its important to have the graph curve of Ph set right or your 6.2 may not be accurate.
    2. check your Kh from your tap after degassing your water a 1 - 4 a times a month( depends if its stable), even a bit of change from Kh may gave large erroneous CO2 readings in your tank.
    3. I have stopped counting bubbles per sec now , ( mines is like ~6 BPS on a 29Gal tank) - . Reason: to quickly ( 1 - 2 hrs ) reach CO2 goal/ Ph goal of 1.1 - 1.3 lower than 24 hr degassed tank water, and to have surface agitation remove the CO2 rapidly enough. ie - my CO2 goes to the atmosphere !!! in order to have it become another NON- LIMITING nutrient . for the plants.
    4. a PAR meter is a GODSEND. - saved money by buying a PAR probe .http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/sq-120-electric-calibration-quantum-sensor/ , brought a decent multimeter. Multiply the reading with 5 to get PAR.

So far my tank is growing like on steroids - no algae. I played monkey and added a few plants from my algae infested experimental tank :torn: a few days ago.
    so far its all silent ( finger crossed). Trying to make an algae killing tank ;)

Regards,
    AR