Larger intake to flood pump

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
I need some idea's
I don't have to much room behind my fish tank and wall , I have a 1" intake going over the rim with a elbow an Tee too my 1" line to my return pump intake.
Pump is a Blue Line 55 HD 1100gph pump , I wanted to be able to flood this pump with a 1-1/2 intake line to the pump but with sadness with no room it was scrub. I'm going to try a 1-1/4" an see if that will work .

But my question is if I use my 1" over the rim and add a 1" to 1-1/2" insert adopter {right next to the 1" Tee} and add a 1-1/2" hose to the pump would I still get the same flood to pump effect?

Would like to hear your idea.

:gw

Jim Miller

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I dont understand the purpose of the tee but larger pipe is better through the turns. Go big as soon as possible.

I assume you know about the space saving advantages of street elbows?

Jim

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
ink,

Make another 1" intake from pvc and flex pipe to hang over the wall. Connect the two 1" inputs to a WYE that is 1.5" with 2x1" ports.

This will provide additional flow w/o using too much space.

The wye can be close to the pump as possible. Just use a 1" to 1.5" bushing at the pump to connect the wye.

This will provide more flow/volume for the pump intlet.

Add a ball valve to the intake to keep the siphon during maint. You may have to start the siphon initially, but should keep after that.

I did something similar for my setup but on a larger scale and it works great!

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Ink,

A pic of the DIY intake assembly.

View attachment 2046

And don't forget the outlet side. Once you have better intake flow, the outlet flow may not be optimal if constricted or reduced....

Last edited by a moderator:

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
Jim Miller;60480 said:
I dont understand the purpose of the tee but larger pipe is better through the turns. Go big as soon as possible.

I assume you know about the space saving advantages of street elbows?

Jim

Are you talking about 90* elbow?
The only purpose I went a Tee was at the top I put a reducer from 1" to 1/2" threaded and have a Brass Plug on top , This where I prime my pump, I just remove the plug and add a funnel and fill my hose to the pump, " fast and easy "
I think even using a elbow would give the same clearance as the a Tee

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
My pic show's how I sperated my returns {bottle neck} This is revers behine the tank. My tank has a center brace so I have one on the right side end my 1 strait return and my other is on the left side of the brace {soon to replace with a strait return like my other} There is really not much room to add a second 1" intake , If so they would only be 5"-8" apart. I will see if I can fine a 1-1/2" Hose Wye Barb and attach 2x 1" intake.

DSC_0032.JPG