This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Large water changes timings

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Gerryd, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

All,

Just an FYI on how long to perform a %50 WC on a 180 gal using a 500 gph Mag drive pump with 1/2 outlet and and then a 3/4" ID return hose just using the tap flow:

Drain time 90-100 gallons 10 minutes.
    Fill time 90-100 gallons 18-20 minutes.

I just now did about a %75-80 and took 45 minutes total to drain and fill. All ferts, pruning, cleaning, etc done during that time. I use 2-3 x Prime dosage.....

I place a sponge on the drain pump and then place it on the substrate so that the intake of the pump will go dry if below bottom 1/3 of tank level, which is how I just did a 75 instead of 50 as I was typing this lol...

I know not everyone has a spare 500 gph laying around, but a smaller pump would work as well, just slower. For large or multiple tanks, I think a pump for this purpose is a good investment, esp with EI.

Maybe you can use the pump for your c02 reactor if you use one or it can be easily removed/reused for this purpose.

Just to demo how little time these tasks can take with some tools/automation...

The benefits to my fish/plants has been enormous!

I would love to have it setup so I could just hit a switch, but maybe some day when/if I own my own place :)

Thanks,