This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Large tank...still bad results can anyone help.

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by samh, Nov 16, 2010.

1. samh

samh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    1:03 PM
    Hey guys

I've been battling away trying to get nice growth in some of my plants but nothing seems to make much difference.
    My tank parameters firstly are:

125g tank 48"x24"x28" deep
    1 4x 54wt5 solarmax light fixture
    2 x 54 giesemann midday
    2 x54 giesemann aquaflora HOT5
    Light 26" above substrate

1 eheim 2217 around 800-1000L/Hr
    1 eheim 2215 around 400-600 L/hr

2x Up aqua co2 reactor large (only 1 connected so far)
    weirpro co2 ph controller
    Up aqua regulator and needle valve
    2x 4dkh drop checkers at opposite ends of tank normally green to yellow

Mixture of ammazonia substrate and black gravel substrate with clay root tabs.

EI dosing method (dry) with added iron using flourish iron and excel.

Co2 timed to come on 1 hour before light which are on for an 8 hr photo period and co2 is timed off 1 hr before lights off to de gas.

I do this and my Pogostemon stellata x 3 different forms (thin leaf, red broad leaf, and long leaf) show drooping of leaves around 2 inches from the crown. Growth is very slow and lower leaves are attacked by dark green algae. I've noticed the new growth that i recieve is only in the form of new stems and not upright. Limnophila aromatica shows similar sign however new shoots grow up the stem from the base and randomly make their way up. I've experimented at potting these plants to raise them closer to the light but makes little difference. My pogo is also dropping it's new leaves on the crown...???

I desperatley need help.
    Everything to me points to more light...
    Any suggestions?

Sam

2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Yes, less light and more flow.

You have almost the same wattage (216 Watts) over your tank as I have on 180 gallons (250 Watts), and I don't use reflectors. Yet I can grow my Stellata's up to 9,5 inch in diameter without any problems.

Also your flow, which relates to CO2 dispersion, is very inadequate. Try to aim for minimally 7 to 8 times the tank volume in turnover. That would be around 800 to 1000 GPH for your tank. With your current setup you might have only 300 GPH....

You could use a good powerhead to get that job done. Try to use less light, 2 to 3 tubes or remove reflectors.

Why less light? Not because the plant needs less light. Less light = less CO2 demand = easier to accomplish.

IMG_2986s..jpg

#2 dutchy, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2010
  3. samh

samh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    If i raise my light will that work? If i take it up to say 12" for a total of 38" will that do? The tank does have quite a bit of current i forgot to mention i have a powerhead 800L/hr? So the more flow will disperse the co2 more? is that right?

Sam

4. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Yes, that would be a lot better. Watch your plants carefully, but it could take up to two weeks for your plants to adapt.

More flow will disperse CO2 more through the tank and between the plant groups. Also it has benificiary effects on epiphyte removal on leaves and better O2 during the night.

Make sure that all plants sway gently.

regards,
    dutchy

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    P stellata should grow like a weed if there is ample CO2.
    I use 4x 54 W at 1 full meter above the sediment.

I redid the tank(Similar size as yours) and raised the light another 15cm, still have enough light all the way to the bottom(Around 30 micromols).
    PS is a good indicator for CO2, much like pearling Riccia, and PS does not mind good current.

You can rule out sediment, water column ferts............lighting........this leaves mostly CO2.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

6. samh

samh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Cheers for the help, I'd rather get advice from people that have large tanks that know what they're doing. I understand that the less light won't drive the plants so hard which means the plants will be less demanding of co2 which is the hardest to control in large volumes and demand. I ended up just removing one tube so there are now only 3 (162w) at roughly 26" is that still too much? I want to get this right as i've recieved a few rare native(Aus) Plants that don't come around often.
    Will it be enough light to carpet Glossostigma Elatinoides?

Sam

7. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Just try like this, You should see a difference quite soon. it will be enough to grow your Glosso, but give your plants some time to adapt.

regards,
    dutchy

8. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:

Just bug Dave Wilson again, he will go out and get some:)
    I think with some good focu on CO2, less worry about having enough light, you will get the most gains.
    "UP Aqua" ADA knock off sediment is also quite good if you can afford, can add new sediment.
    Several shops carry it in Oz.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

9. samh

samh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Yeah, haha he knows me alright. I'm planning a trip to go plant searching for my aus native tank. Probably not to the kimberley region though and staying clear of the floating logs that like to bite. Yeah i'll try my 3 HO T5's at 26" and see how that goes, i'm going to hook up 2 co2 reactors to my separate filters and i have a ph controller now which has helped a bit.

By decreasing the light and getting the balance right with co2 will that help with obtaining reds in some of the plants? I'll reduce my nitrates a bit and raise my micros accordingly... is that right?

Sam