Large Tank Owners and Reeflo Pumps FYI

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
My manipulation has been pretty lousy since you've gone off and done plenty of things on your own I wouldn't have thought of doing. :D

Overall it's been great to see how things have progressed and how you've made improvements over time. It's also interesting to see how your plumbing sort of takes root and sends out new pipes/runners with every new slide. It's alive!!!

-
S

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hey all,

Twin new 1" intakes installed in the wiers.... Finally !!!!!!!!!!!! I am approaching flow Nirvana :)

I just couldn't wait any longer to see if the work would be worth it. Last night I was like a kid at Christmas a bit.....I did wait 3 weeks since the last upgrade lol

Took several hours as I was being EXTRA CAREFUL lol but was not that hard in the end. Would have been easier with a partner...Pretty much plug and play as expected and planned for.....Once the infrastructure exists, mods are much easier...You can't see them sitting down only when standing, so am reasonably pleased from an aesthetic viewpoint. I still need to paint them all, but that can wait a bit. Or maybe wrap with dark tape???

I did have to start the siphon on each side but was easy.

You can feel the suction on the new intakes... One does seem better than the other....so will have to play with that.

I was able to open up the flow to all 3 legs plus open up the outlets more as well.

So, I see more intake flow, more outlet flow, I can hear the Mazzei do it's thing. Most likely will need a few days of adjustment...

I still think a straight 2" bulkhead would give me better overall performance, but this is still a very nice gain :) Not sure if I will ever use the last intake..

Mazzei mist still seems excellent. All the PSI guages I installed also help a lot for adjustment and benchmarking.

Jeff, you were correct. I did not need such a big pump, but I need to learn these things myself apparently........However, the cost diff was negligible so no biggie...

I still need a strainer for the one side...

I MAY open the wier grating a bit, but we will see....

S,

It's also interesting to see how your plumbing sort of takes root and sends out new pipes/runners with every new slide. It's alive!!!

Well it IS a planted tank, so roots would be appropriate...I think it will soon become self aware....

As always, the pics:

Later. Thanks again to all who have chimed in over the last year or so esp on this project!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Update:

After some valve and flow adjustment it looks like it is really a HUGE difference. Once I got the 'max' flow through the 3 legs, the rest went to the 1" direct outlet to the tank. That now provides BETTER surface agitation than the Koralia II and seems to equal the flow of the Koralia IV for the rest of the tank.....So both Hydors gone for good AND an improvement :)

You can really see the intake flow in the wiers is MUCH faster than before and the suction on the new intakes is also much stronger than when I first installed.

Seems quieter but that may be just me....

I did a large water change afterwards and the siphon was retained in both new intakes, so good to go there..Nice to now just turn off the one pump for everything and less plugs and wires around.....always a good thing around water :) Of course now I think I should purchase a spare pump (but perhaps a smaller gph as the pump is the same size) just in case......

If I had it to do over I would do the legs in 1.5 pipe and reduce down as required for the NC units....That would get much more flow to each leg....I really see how pipe diameter matters.

I am very pleased with the improvement in flow and current and hope to now rescape and plan to hide all the outlets.....

Last edited by a moderator:

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Awesome. Very good info to know. I suppose I shouldn't be entirely surprised on the diameter issue since you would ideally leave all the high friction turbulent flow to the outside of the pipe and have the nice clean flow in the middle to supply the pump.

I would expect the pump to be working far less now that it isn't starved and it should be a bit quieter as a result. I'd be curious to see where your electricity draw went over time with all this since that might be informative as well. Did you happen to notice if it runs any cooler since giving it the extra 1" inlets?

Now you just have to plumb in that last 1" inlet. You KNOW you want to. It's just sitting there staring at you. Taunting you... :p

-
S

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi S,

It does seem quieter, but unsure on the wattage draw.....

No temp diff noticeable so far, but the difference in tank turnover is significant......

Will have to step up the frequency of filter cartridge changes due to increased flow......

I think I will LEAVE the last one capped... Remember that than I would be flowing MORE water than the 2" pipe could handle, right???? I am not sure it would get me anything, and there is not enough room in the wiers for it anyway :)

Still need to hide the outlets next........ INTAKE work is COMPLETE LOL

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

As a finishing touch to this thread here are some changes I made to the plumbing that finally allow me to see how powerful this pump is and the gains from all these changes. I removed a bottleneck I had when merging the three parallel legs prior to the tank return.

This caused back pressure and loss of flow. Improvements in flow are EXPONENTIAL.

I know it took me forever to get this working optimally, but what can I say.

Next project I will know these things....

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/8090-Plumbing-bottlenecks

Closing............