This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Labels and dates

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Gerryd, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:49 PM
    Hey all,

Well in the last week I had to refill all 3 of my c02 tanks. I finally got around to sticking a label on each with the date the c02 tank was hooked to the reg and used. Noticed today on the 5lb hooked to the 57 gal and dated 2/7/14 was empty......While the tank IS doing well, I don't recall the bubble rate being that excessive, especially in light of my reduction of said rates on all 3 tanks.

So, I think this may be a clue to some issue or other and I will check into it tomorrow when I hook up a new tank and do a leak and overall check/inspection.

I will post what I find.

Later.

2. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Yes, I do that with all my CO2 tanks as soon as I swap them. But instead of a label, I write directly on the aluminum tank with a magic marker. When the time comes to refill, you use alcohol to wipe the magic marker off. A 20# CO2 last about 1 year for me on a 20 gallon. Now that I have reduced the bubble rate to nearly half of what I was injecting, I expect to see a vast improvement of CO2 consumption. My tank is actually doing better than it was when I was injecting over twice the amount of gas. Plants look more colorful and growth has increased.

That said, a couple weeks on a 5# CO2 tank doesn't sound right. IIRC a 5# tank lasted over 3-4 months for me before needing a refill, and that was on a 20 gallon at a higher bubble rate. You either have a leak somewhere or your gas tank wasn't full (maybe a relief valve dumped gas?). If you're using hose barbs rather than a tube adapter, that connection could be the culprit. Make sure your solenoid is closing at night, too. Still 2 weeks on a 5# bottle means you're losing a lot of gas somewhere.

ALso check the CGA to make sure you don't have two washers and it's tightened down with a wrench, etc. I'd replace that washer, too.

#2 Matt F., Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014
  3. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hey all,

I think I found the issue. Recently I stopped using the permaseal washers that screw into the tank itself with the more common plastic ones.

I forgot that you can crank down on these whereas the permseals break the o-ring/brass easily if overtightened.

When I went to remove the reg, it was little more than hand tight....which is not good :)

So, I used a new washer (I replace each time anyway) and then cranked down on it properly (I hope).

I also replaced all of the tubing from the inline check valve to the NW pump. Over time it gets hard being submerged, and can constrict a bit.

It looked ok, but I replaced it anyway. I saw my bubble rate was higher than I thought, so I reduced that as well. I will monitor as usual.

I will post if the tank again only lasts a 1 or 2...

I think the washer was the root cause..

We will see.

Later

- - - Updated - - -

Hey all,

I think I found the issue. Recently I stopped using the permaseal washers that screw into the tank itself with the more common plastic ones.

I forgot that you can crank down on these whereas the permseals break the o-ring/brass easily if overtightened.

When I went to remove the reg, it was little more than hand tight....which is not good :)

So, I used a new washer (I replace each time anyway) and then cranked down on it properly (I hope).

I also replaced all of the tubing from the inline check valve to the NW pump. Over time it gets hard being submerged, and can constrict a bit.

It looked ok, but I replaced it anyway. I saw my bubble rate was higher than I thought, so I reduced that as well. I will monitor as usual.

I will post if the tank again only lasts a 1 or 2...

I think the washer was the root cause..

We will see.

Later