This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Lab Journal... Tissue Culture Startup

Discussion in 'Journals' started by adkaqua, May 25, 2018.

1. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    7:54 AM
    I never read it. Didn't have the attention span. So my JP is movie JP.

Same with MCU. Never read comics. So what the movies show is my MCU.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    No idea yet. Flourescent plants is far down the line. Cultivation is first and foremost. If genetic work never happens but I can make the business thrive growing and selling, I'll be happy. I've got a lot of ideas drafted up and backed with journal, reviewed work with the genes of interest, but that's a long ways out if it happens.

3. Wobblebonk

Wobblebonk Member

Local Time:
    8:54 AM
    Hah well if you want to get technical I believe MCU stands for Marvel cinematic universe so it doesn't really matter if you've read the comics!

Regardless, I hope you are successful at this, ordering tissue cultures online has certainly been a crapshoot for me. Praying my nana snow white tissue culture arrives in good condition...

adkaqua likes this.
  4. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    I haven't even seen it available in TC yet. I bought mine bare root. It's destined for TC in future though. Wish I'd gotten it in TC to start with, would be that much father ahead

5. X3NiTH

X3NiTH New Member

Local Time:
    1:54 PM
    I really hate to be cynical but If I were running a tissue culture business I'd be spiking the pots with a beneficial bacteria culture small enough that it doesn't cause problems for the plants in the pot (short term shelf life) but it does cause problems for replication attempts without expert knowledge and tools, which is the whole point of why you're going to so much trouble with the sterilisation process and finding it frustrating that the tissue culture pots you are getting in are not sterile (handling issues between supplier and vendor can't be to blame for all of the sterility issues your having).

If it were easy to do TC then everyone would be doing it, I'd love to dabble in it for Buce by the bucket load.

6. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    Ithink most of the contamination I'm seeing is from shipping from supplier to distrubutor or vendor from overseas. Then shipping to consumer. Issue with spiking your own containers is it will go crazy. Crazy. There is no beneficial to organisms when being grown in an ideal, steralized environment. You'll kill your plants as they're overgrown with what is usually beneficial. Businesses doing TC in competition with each other do just that, buy each other's stuff. Unless you're growing a trademarked cultivar, someone is gonna buy your sterile plants and do it themselves. Luckily I have enough experience to be able to handle some of it. Overall I lost less than I thought. Delicate plants that I aggressively steralized. Mosses, mayaca, etc. But I successfully established about 3/4 of what I started with initially. I'm actually moving on to plants from my grow out aquarium and steralizing them. It'll be a learning curve, trial and error, but that's what the big grow out tank is for. Then I can make sure I have backups when I inevitably kill some.

7. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    Between established (recovering and in full multiplication mode), and current round of new species.. I've got 34 species in growth media

8. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    I do think handling can be to blame for most of my issues rn, since I only purchased single cups of most of them. The ones I got multiples of, I managed to get going no prob. I like DHG, and my crypto pink panther. Had dupes so when one cup arrived open or leaking... I could use another. Had I afforded more of each to start I'd have had better luck. However, I'd already dropped 1800 on plants. I wasn't getting dupes haha

9. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    One last injection of cash coming in. Took a little more than another grand out of my 401k. Buying 2 more growing racks, the necessary components to upgrade the t8 fixtures I bought to t5ho, mailing labels and printer, and the containers I'll be using to sell them in once I get the check. This is it. No more funds in reserve. This last bit is all the funds I'll have to work with and it's getting mostly consumed buying shelving and shipping supplies.

I'm on track to have over 10k plantlets by August (looking like over 4k AR mini alone). And assuming contamination stays as low as I'm maintaining in my established cultures.... By the end of the year I could be at over 50k plantlets in culture. It's mind boggling. I don't know that I actually really thought I'd be able to do this. But I kept telling myself I could. I would. Been talking about having my own lab since 2009 when I decided to go back to college. And not only do I have one, but I've successfully gotten it on track and running well.

"We're gonna need a bigger boat"

jfhrtn and a1matt like this.
  10. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    Fast update. New pair of 55s. Exciting.

Also, new media recipe is much better. Both containers planted same time. And same size. A month ago. Coming along. [​IMG][​IMG]

jfhrtn, a1matt and Phishless like this.
  11. jbs47

jbs47 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Those quantities are amazing...Eagerly following your quest ...may not comment but I am following. Best of luck, although your skill will make your own luck, i"m sure.

adkaqua likes this.
  12. jokochimpa

jokochimpa New Member

Local Time:
    6:54 AM
    Definitely have been following this thread. I find this absolutely fascinating. Watching your journey through this is a great read. I really hope this all works out as well as you envision this!

adkaqua likes this.
  13. Tributary

Tributary Junior Poster

Local Time:
    As a fellow Upstater (Finger Lakes!), I can't wait for you to open for business. Good luck!

adkaqua likes this.
  14. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    Rip rotary flask shaker. May 2018-july 2018

15. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    Delivered today. 500x. Screw top. These are bigger than I thought they were.... Hah. Prob 2x the size of the ones I bought that had plants in them.... Might need to keep that in mind next time I order....[​IMG]

jfhrtn likes this.
  16. Wobblebonk

Wobblebonk Member

Local Time:
    Maybe those are big enough for dinosaur eggs?!

17. jfhrtn

jfhrtn New Member

Local Time:
    Everything is looking good and excited to see what becomes of the new pair of 55's. I've still got a open spot in my main tank for when that AR goes into the selling phase

-James

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

18. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    Things going okay. Still moving along. Busy AF, have work, had a wedding on other side of country, this, as well as trying to get cutting edge and getting ready for new expansion in the one video game I play. . . This posting gap falls into the warning in op that I may not keep up with it. But I haven't forgotten. Nor failed and abandoned things.

But. Going along well. Ish. Hah.

New idea to maybe be more successful steralizing. Gonna try to grow things emersed. Rather than submerged. Might help success rates with tougher plants... Now to figure out how to switch over to emersed for my non-culture stock. And what even CAN be switched. Any tips welcome....

19. Tihsho

Tihsho New Member

Local Time:
    Emersed growth is extremely addicting in itself and honestly one of the easiest things I had ever setup. I had a journal about it on another forum that I'll have to look for you. But to keep things short and simple, I kept everything in identical terra-cotta pots with MGOPS as the substrate. Each pot had a screen in the base to prevent the substrate from working its way out. The water levels were kept right below the rim of the pot in the tanks that I hosted stem or broad leafed plants and the carpet plants I kept just passed the lip so that water would be around 1mm above the lip. The key two things I noticed made the biggest difference were heating and misting. Heating on each system was provided with a heat mat on the base of each tank and I had them set to 84 degrees F with the assistance of an external thermostat that I had the probe sitting mid way into the water. The heat added to the humidity, but I ended up testing two methods of misting out and both made a big difference. The first method was just a simple spray bottle; simple, cheap, but required regular mistings 5 times a day to promote the best growth. Next to that was an ultrasonic fogger; not as cheap, but still cheap, automated with a timer, fogged the entire system for 15 minutes 3 times a day. The fogger was the solution I went with due to ease, but I did notice some issues with plants near by as if the ultrasonic fogger was somehow damaging the plants. I ended up moving plants away from the fogger, but I ended up losing about 1/3rd of the space of the tank because of this issue. I plan on getting back into emersed growth again real soon as I've just bought a new home and have space to experiment. But this round I plan on drilling the enclosures for an overflow and using a mistking misting system I had for previous vivariums to mist the enclosures multiple times a day with RO. Another key thing, it seems I forgot to mention, is that you don't want to let the water get stagnant in an emersed setup. Get a cheapo pump and have it circulate the enclosure, it doesn't have to be strong, but the less dead spots you have the better. I tried replacing this with air stones, but I had issues with the water levels dropping too quick. The best solution I found was placing a cheap power head in the corner of the tank with the output facing the longest pane of glass and having it attached to a DIY spray bar that ran to the end of tank to push the water between the pots.

I hope this little essay helps. If you have any questions on emersed growth, feel free to let me know.

adkaqua likes this.
  20. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    Came to realization this weekend there will be likely no wholesale. I can't compete with those labs in India and Asia for prices for wholesale. Selling them myself on website/Amazon/eBay/aquabid/Facebook....I don't need to match wholesale prices. Just the retail ones. And that, I can do.

Tributary and Phishless like this.