This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Lab Journal... Tissue Culture Startup

Discussion in 'Journals' started by adkaqua, May 25, 2018.

1. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    4:17 AM
    It doesn't. Won't use at all for doing tissue culture work. Once I have space I can use it for doing molecular biology.

Things like... Making glo-plants. Blue plants that are real. Etc. THATS what my degree was in. Plant tissue culture was a recommended elective. The DNA work... That's what my focus was.
    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

a1matt likes this.
  2. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    Thank you, too :) very exciting times RN.

a1matt likes this.
  3. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    But plan with that tool, along with crispr and agrobacterium.... All tools I can use to make plants like.... Say.... Red Anubias. Or ludwigia that glows when you turn blacklight on for glofish, etc. You'll never see a research company form to do that kind of work. They'd never make any money. However, as a pet project of my own, with a tissue culture propagation business at the front, it would work. I can dabble and experiment and not worry about the bottom line being affected because it'd basically be hobby level biohacking while I focused on propagation.

#23 adkaqua, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    a1matt likes this.
  4. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    During my undergrad years I worked in TC and molecular biology labs that collaborated on the same project (and maintained and worked with my own TC clones while in molecular bio lab, so even tho my time doing TC-only came first, it continued to play a role in much that I did during my degree).

Think of the planned work for that tool like... The Guy who is a professional welder by day, and then uses the same tools to help him create incredible art pieces on the side because he enjoys art. Except instead of making art people can put in their yard, I want to use the plant cells themselves as my creative canvas.

a1matt likes this.
  5. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    And in my dreams there's also expansion into other things. A company that goes from DBA to c-corp. With divisions in Aquatic plant propagation and research, aquascaping and custom tanks... As well as agricultural, biomedical, energy, turf grass, cannabis, and ornamental horticultural research. Will it all happen? Idk. It's most certainly overly ambitious. But I've been designing and planning research projects for years. In my head I see Adirondack Aquascaping as a subsidiary of my own privately held corporation doing production and research with plants in multiple areas. Will it happen? Who knows. Probably not. But if you told me a year ago I'd have an operational tissue culture lab in my apartment I'd have laughed. If you told me a week ago I was going to be a father.... I'd have said not for a year or two. So who knows what the future holds. Right now the aquatic plant propagation is strictly my focus. In two or three years.... We'll see what I can do.

"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves" -John Connor

a1matt likes this.
  6. a1matt

a1matt Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    10:17 AM
    Your passion really shines through in your replies. Coupled with the unique content makes this a really good read.

Please promise that when the experimental time comes, you won't use velociraptor DNA :eek::p:D

adkaqua likes this.
  7. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    Hammond was a hero. His problem was that he used equity funding. Others used his passion and his vision for their own gain

8. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    (writing this memo after writing this post.... fyi it's long haha)

That first Jurassic Park movie, when looked at from above, isn't just a movie about dinosaurs and greed and surviving. It was a man who loved dinosaurs. Truly loved them. Wanted to share that love with the world. And he got the funding to make his vision a reality. To make a park where people could come see living breathing dinosaurs. To use science in a way that would educate and fascinate the world.

His mistake was corporate funding that gave them controlling interest in the company, policy, and direction. Ingen was concerned with profits, strictly. Leading to rushed research, and doing things that led to reckless and dangerous outcomes. Their concern for the bottom line also led to cost saving measures, like super minimal staffing and lack of redundancy in critical systems. In an age where computers were still only recently being used widely commercially, with buggy and poorly written code on unreliable hardware ... Their entire security system, electrical system, park infrastructure... Was on what, one, two terminals? Under the control of a single operator. Manual backups of critical subsystems were spread out across the site, with poor communication systems linking them. There wasn't even generator backups on each of the paddocks. They were on a tropical island and never worried about storms Knocking out power? They were doomed to fail from the beginning because a corporation more concerned with maximising their income was funding the whole thing. Hammond thought he was going to be able to make it work. Make the best of things and still make his dream come true. But because he wasn't in charge of that dream anymore... He wasn't able to stop and change the events that led to it's destruction.

He was a visionary. A scientist who dearly loved his work and wanted to share it with the world and share that sense of awe and wonder with everyone. Call me strange.... But the scene with him realizing it's all done, before it really had a chance to begin, where he's sitting eating ice cream as chaos descended arounded them... One of the saddest moments in cinema to me. That was the moment his spirit broke. When him and Dr. Sattler sat conversing while the island was falling apart.... All that man wanted to do was bring joy to the world. Share his love of dinosaurs. Of science. Teach and show people. I mean the man had intro tours go THROUGH the genetic labs. He wanted people to see and question, become curious and inspired. And in order to shave a few more percent off their operations budget, his dream never had a chance.

a1matt likes this.
  9. a1matt

a1matt Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I'm going to have to read the book again now :)

adkaqua likes this.
  10. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    See now you go and make me look lazy hah. I've never read the book.

11. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    Up to over 300 alternantheria. Baby tears doing well too. Lost a few more species. ... But whatever. Expected.

Cryptocoryne pink panther on the way too :) been busy. Been good. Off to bed though. Lots to do tomorrow

sarpijk likes this.
  12. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    Suuuuper quick update.

Lost a few more species that I finally said screw it and gave up on. I'm not wasting more time and money trying to save them I'll just buy fresh stock later. Zero moss left in culture. Bummer but w/e. Que Sera Sera.

I GOT MY CRYPTOCORYNE PINK PANTHER!!!

4 cups of it. Figure even with the contamination ik I'll have to deal with bc of the vendor it came from (and every single one of the plants I bought from that brand had issues that needed to be cleared up, even coming from purchased tissue culture cups that *should* be steralize, but I digress) I'll have plenty to really get going quick on it. Replaced my hydropiper too. Fingers crossed there I love that stuff. I wanna have it in my catalog early.

A few things are taking off already, and look like I'll have for sale in a month or two. AR mini, and what I think is micranthemum umbrosum... I have over 600 individual plantlets. Ludwigia arcuata doing very well (100-150 individuals). Cryptocoryne axelrodi also doing excellent. H. Zosterifolia doing incredible too. They're looking to be my first 5 available for sale. The rest is crawling along at different rates. Lagenandra meeboldi 'red' will probably be along right behind those. Very very exciting times as some of these plants move rapidly into the exponential growth and multiplication phase that is what makes TC such an incredibly powerful technique.

Off to bed though. Up for work in about 4 hours!

a1matt, Greggz and Phishless like this.
  13. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    Change "probably" to "will be" for Lagenandra. More than doubled them tonight. Doing surprisingly well. All the L. meeboldi green died from mold. The red is doing excellent.

sarpijk likes this.
  14. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    Great day. Called in sick to work bc I slept like garbage. Took my narcolepsy meds too late and didn't kick in with enough time to get me a solid night sleep, so I knew my daytime ones wouldn't keep me up while driving or at work. So I called in and made a day of doing work here. One plant left to move into new media and I'm caught up. Have a few in liquid media on my orbital shaker. Will deal with them Sunday. But I had to open up racks 3 and 4 on my shelves! Sunday I might actually finally be able to get ludwigia white and Madagascar lace out of my tank and attempt to get them in culture haha. Finally. [​IMG][​IMG]

15. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    Oh and my iguazu 2009 is more than double the size it was when I bought it a few months ago. . . It might be facing the scalpel sooner than later haha[​IMG][​IMG]

16. jfhrtn

jfhrtn New Member

Local Time:
    Glad to hear most of all the species are doing well. Hate you lost a couple but I'm sure you'll have then back in the future. The iguazu 2009 is looking good and congrats on receiving the pink panther. Awesome to see things coming along. You take such care and precision in what you do and I know it will show in the end product.

-James

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

adkaqua likes this.
  17. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    Thanks! I was checking online legitimately 3to 5x per day for that Pink panther. Saw it in my lunch break one day at work. Whipped my card out and bought em on the spot haha. Things will die. Inevitable when you're bleaching them repeatedly to kill bacteria. I have been doing some research on better ways to steralize without killing these fragile plants before I try some of them again. . . Next go around will hopefully be better!

18. adkaqua

adkaqua Member

Local Time:
    Update for today is just pictures. Gotta go eat dinner and get ready for raid night (Argus to 36% last night.... Not that most on here will care haha).

Stuff with lids- growing steralized (afaik).

Stuff without, my day tomorrow. Gonna be trying to put them on those shelves [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Phishless likes this.
  19. X3NiTH

X3NiTH New Member

Local Time:
    Don't know where you're going to source the fluorescence genes but if you were looking for any naturally occurring fluorescence in aquatic plants to do the gene transfer then it might be worth looking at Monoselenium Tenerum, in my tank it appears a vibrant blue green (not all of it, parts of it) when excited at 395nm (at this wavelength the chlorophyl in other plants appears as a dull red). It's the only plant I've so far discovered (that's ended up in my tanks) to naturally fluoresce (I was hoping it would be the Buce but alas).

adkaqua likes this.
  20. Wobblebonk

Wobblebonk Member

Local Time:
    5:17 AM
    I just want to say that book Hammond is a ruthless dirtbag who dies in book 1 and movie Hammond is a kindly grandfather dude. They moved his bad traits off onto other people for movie audiences, but the book paints a completely different Hammond. I think anyhow, I read that in the 90s...