Kordon Vita Trace

B

Brian20

Well I have a new Kordon Vita Trace (Trace elements and vitamins for fish). It says that :

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:
Freshwater VitaTrace is designed to be a complete trace element and vitamin additive for fish and plants. Most freshwater aquariums do not receive additions of some of the minerals that are not commonly found in tapwater and of course reverse osmosis and dionized water will lack those elements entirely. All minerals and vitamins are in a bio-available form to insure that they can be used by fish and plants. This combination of elements was designed for the purpose of enhancing the immune systems of freshwater fish. As a result of regular usage of Freshwater VitaTrace hobbyists can expect vibrant coloration, faster growth and earlier maturation. Freshwater VitaTrace is especially helpful for cichlids and other fast growing fish. Contains iron to augment plant growth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Novalek has over a decade of experience in developing vitamin supplements for the pet market via our Oasis product line. Drawing on the knowledge and skills developed for that line and in close consultation with fish biologists, public aquariums, aquaculture facilities and fish breeders led to the development of VitaTrace. Small amounts of preservatives are used to insure that efficacy and freshness are maintained. Vitamins are tested in warm humid conditions to insure they remain viable over time.

A brief chart of the primary benefits from using VitaTrace follows:
Vitamin A Promotes new cell growth, aids immune system, helps prevent retinal degeneration
Vitamin D3 Essential in the uptake and usage of calcium and magnesium
Vitamin E Acts as intra and intercellular antioxidant, deficiency will result in poor growth, anemia and reduced survival rate
Vitamin C Enhances immune system, vital for growth of fish
Vitamin B12 Encourages feeding response, deficiency can result in low hemoglobin
Vitamin B1 Also known as Thiamine, encourages feeding response and aids digestion
d-Pantothenic Acid Essential for the development of the central nervous system; used to metabolize carbohydrates, lipids and proteins
K3 Promotes blood clotting
Folic Acid Essential for blood cell formation, blood glucose regulation
Choline Required for efficient nutrient usage and growth
Biotin Aids digestion and conversion of fatty acids
In addition to these ingredients, all significant trace elements are included at optimal levels to replenish closed aquarium systems.

Guaranteed Analysis per Fluid Ounce of Undiluted Trace Elements
A (Palmitate) 1171.875 µ/oz Manganese Sulfate 1.953 mg/oz
D-3 (Cholecalciferol) 468.750 µ/oz Sodium Borate 0.719 mg/oz
E (dl-alpha Tocopheryl) 19.531 µ/oz EDTA 0.555 mg/oz
Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) 117.188 mg/oz Sodium Molybdate 0.516 mg/oz
Vitamin B-12 (Cyanocobalamin) 0.004 mg/oz Lithium Chloride 0.477 mg/oz
Vitamin B-1 (Thiamine) 0.006 mg/oz Aluminum Sulfate 0.414 mg/oz
d-Pantothenic Acid 3.000 mg/oz Ferric Chloride 0.406 mg/oz
K3 (Menadione) 2.734 mg/oz Chelated Iron 0.238 mg/oz
Magnesium Chloride 708.734 mg/oz Sodium Selenite 0.212 mg/oz
Calcium Chloride 177.184 mg/oz Rubidium Chloride .071 mg/oz
Magnesium Sulfate 70.873 mg/oz Zinc Sulfate 0.060 mg/oz
Potassium Sorbate 36.820 mg/oz Cobalt Sulfate 0.043 mg/oz
Sodium Benzoate 36.820 mg/oz Potassium Iodide 0.043 mg/oz
Potassium Chloride 7.188 mg/oz Potassium Bromide 0.043 mg/oz
Sodium Bicarbonate 5.000 mg/oz Copper Sulfate 0.005 mg/oz
Folic Acid 2.734 mg/oz Biotin (Vitamin H) 0.004 mg/oz
Choline Chloride 2.734 mg/oz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STABILITY
Freshwater VitaTrace is stable indefinitely when stored in a cool, dark area away from heat and direct sunlight. Freshwater VitaTrace should be kept tightly closed when not in use.
COMPATABILITIES
Freshwater VitaTrace is harmless to fish, plants and invertebrates. This product is safe for use in aquariums and will not interfere with normal biological filtration. Freshwater VitaTrace is compatible with AmQuel®, AmQuel Plus®, NovAqua® and PolyAqua®. Freshwater VitaTrace will not affect water quality.
CONTRAINDICATIONS
Freshwater VitaTrace is not intended to be a substitute for proper nutrition and proper water quality. To obtain the full benefits of using Freshwater VitaTrace make sure all other aquarium parameters are within normal ranges.

True or False? What benefits I receive from Vitamins?

DaBub

Guru Class Expert
Oct 18, 2009
do not know anything about Kordon Vita Trace

But I know peeps that use vitamins, 'C' is most popular. some crush up multi-vitamins once a month or so

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
I'm not aware of any research showing that it's helpful or necessary to add vitamins. . Can they prove typical deficiency? An advantage to using their product over good food sources? That their product won't cause toxicity with proper feeding? I've got no problem getting very nice colors and growth out of my fish with good flake ( new life spectrum) and some blackworms fed the same along side spirulina powder.

Now as for the analysis, I haven't added up the potassium in all its forms, but the calcium and magnesium are pretty disappointing. I'll come back for a closer look at this whole thing tomorrow.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Perhaps for fish, but add it to their food(like us), not the water.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
The potassium isn't so great either; about 450mg of it in the whole bottle. I couldn't dose a 20 gal for a week on it. In all honesty, I'd just gut load some live food with spirulina powder or buy yourself some good fish food heavy in spirulina. You'll find it has pretty much the same nutrients, but you don't have to risk fouling the water to do it. If they're deriving from spirulina, they'll be neglecting to mention the massive quantities of protein that they're getting you to dump into the column.

I'm also seeing that they combine a ton of sodium benzoate with ascorbic acid. I'm not sure it'll hit dangerous levels, but if it were to convert completely it may be a problem; at least about 675mg/L. Now how much of it will actually change over is beyond me.

B

Brian20

Well, I going to use it in the food then. Not noticeable food source for plants, right?

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
Pretty much nothing valuable for plants in there. So little that it's not worth paying for.

B

Brian20

I mix it yesterday with spectrum small fish formula and my fish gone wild, they just love it. I will make the same again, just to make that is this product the cause of my fish reaction to the food. I will make a experiment comparing two tanks.