This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

KNO3 replacement

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by omartinez, May 19, 2011.

1. omartinez

omartinez Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    3:06 AM
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum and have one year of planted aquarium experience, not much :).

I want to start with EI and started looking for the compounds then i hit a problem.

In my country, KNO3 is not easily found, actually none of the compounds are easy, i have called a lot of places and no luck. I tried to import it from USA but for what i read it not allowed to import outside USA, or is it?

anyway, there is a sustitute for KNO3 that i can import/use?

2. pepetj

pepetj Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Welcome omartinez

I encountered the same problem. I gave up looking in gardening stores (visited more than a dozen) and went for lab grade (which is basically paying a lot more for the same product, given the use I'm giving to the compounds). For some reason in my Country urea [CH4N2O] seems to be the main source of Nitrogen, at least in gardening stores.

I don't understand why exactly urea is a problem for aquatic plants (maybe due to the sudden release of ammonia [NH3] in contact with water) but it seem to have some issues that harm both plants, inverts and fish.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

#2 pepetj, May 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2011
  3. omartinez

Local Time:
    Pepetj it's me, hylik :) ...

I saw EDTA iron on the store i told you yesterday but not macros :(....

It will be difficult to start EI without that ferts....i will keep looking for solutions...it will be a great help if there is a replacement for KNO3 so we can import it safely

4. Crispino Ramos

Crispino Ramos Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I know a fellow aquarist here in Arizona who's using 'Miracle-Gro All Purpose' to fertilize his planted tank. He doesn't have any problem like algae or fish dying - the tank is heavily planted. Miracle Gro is water soluble and it makes it easy to apply in dry form. Is this product available in your country?

#4 Crispino Ramos, May 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2011
  5. ubr0ke

ubr0ke Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    check hardware stores for stump remover...Some stump removers are kno3..

6. omartinez

Local Time:
    already found a local source for KNO3 thanks for the help and suggestions