This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

KH2Po4 How much is too much

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by jrneuzil, Jan 7, 2006.

1. jrneuzil

jrneuzil Expired Subscriber

I started up my 55 gal with the following doses.
    Tank is planted very heavy with a lot of fast growers and a few slow ones.

KH2PO4 1/8 tsp 3xweek
    KN03 1/2 tsp 3xweek
    15ml CSM+B 3xweek
    50% water change once a week.
    CO2. Somewhere between 30ppm and maybe 50ppm? (I am unable to use KH charts for CO2 because of whatever is in tap water. As suggested by someone here I let a tank sample sit for 48 hrs. ant PH reads 7.8 on my calibrated PH meter. If we assume that each full drop in PH approximates 30 ppm I drive my PH down to 6.15. Fish gasp and complaint when I have gone down to 6.0 or 5.8.

So now for the question (sorry taking so long to get to it.) This tank is around a month old and I started to see two types of alga appear.
    First if was BBA which I am trying contol with regular removal and hi CO2.
    Next I continue to see Green spot algae. The current advice seems to be to add PO4 for that. So I increased PO4 by 1/32 tsp but the spot alga still came back. I upped it again another 1/32 and it still comes back.
    Know I am wondering if I am making a mistake and maybe the spot algae is just because the tank has only been set up a little over a month.\
    The thought has occurred to my that I am just not patient, but on the other had I don't want algae to gain a strong hold and not be able to control it. Been there with Reef tanks with no coming back.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking

JR

2. jrneuzil

Re: KH2Po4 How much is too much

All right then. Lacking any direction that says otherwise I guess I will just keep doing what I am doing and see what happens. :rolleyes:
    JR

3. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Guru Class Expert

Jrneuzil,your not alone.starting up a new tank can sometimes be a challange.if you have alot of light,more than 2 1/2 watts per gallon,inmo its going to be harder to get rid of the algae issue.try backing off a little on your macro's and be dilligent in cleaning glass and equipment,and filter.be patient and things will come around to your liking.if this thing was easy, everyone would be doing it.thats why in my neck of the woods, when you mention that your hobby is PLANTED tanks ,they kind'a give you a funny look.good luck! regards,cornhusker :) :)

4. jrneuzil

Thanks Cornhusker.
    JR

5. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

A thought just occurred to me: I started up my 29 gallon tank, had virtually no algae, and suddenly it started up. I remembered Tom's idea that an increase in NH4 could trigger such a happening. Then, I got to wondering why I could only find 5 of the 6 cory's I put in there. Well, I finally found the 6th one jammed behind my cork/moss wall in back, dead, of course. Thus, lots of NH4. So, try doing a census of your fish, snails, shrimp, etc.

6. jrneuzil

Well I guess that is a possibility. I did pull out a few dead shrimp that I lost when the ph dropped a bit lower that I wanted which caused a fish gasping episode.

JR

7. jrneuzil

Well the GSA seems to be coming back much less slower yesterday. Now the water seems a little cloudy. I suppose I will just hang on go for the ride and see what happens.
    Thanks all.

JR