KH of 2 too low for non CO2 tank?

Dolfan

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Apr 2, 2005
My PH is around 6.5 and GH using equilibrium is between 7 and 10. I have a non co2 75 gallon tank using non co2 EI. Plants and discus are fine. Should I add baking soda or just leave well enough alone?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Re: KH of 2 too low for non CO2 tank?

Leave it alone.

Non CO2 means no water changes and with Discus, while possible, most over feed them, put too many into the tank.

I'd not have more than a pair, maybe 4 tops and no heavy feeding.
No KNO3 either, just PO4 and EQ and tad of traces once a week.

I'd use lots and lots of plants and put some shade plants on the surface and pack the darker areas with more plants like Java fern, Anubias etc.

I had 5 fish well fed in a 90 gal CO2/high light, I migth have been able to add a couple more...

Regards,
Tom Barr

Dolfan

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Apr 2, 2005

Thanks for the guidance. My tank is loaded with plants. The swords have put out runners and there are about 10 plants on the surface and big leaves also. I have the java ferns. I have crypts in all the dark areas. I've been adding 1/16 teaspoon kno3, 1/32 teaspoon kh2po4, 1 teaspoon eq and 1 capful of flourish weekly. I have also been changing 15 gallons per week of water. I have 2 yellow faced marlboro's and 2 gold melon discus. No other fish at all. I feed them 4 cubes of Hikari frozen bloodworms a day with a pinch of Omega One flake to absorb most of the liquid. Should I change this routine it is going very well so far?
When I run out of flourish I have some old TMG to use. What dosage would be good?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

This sounds fine,
Try reducing the water changes, or simply skip one week and see.
Take a good amount of time to look at plant growth during this peroid.
SeaChem Eq is high in K+ also. So that will help.

Think about adding 1-2 cubes of KNO3 each day (the Blood worms). That's a fair amount of Nitrogen.
At least you are feeding frozen, try some live brine here and there and other frozen foods(Mysis shrimp, glass worms, beef heart).

Regards,
Tom Barr

Bill

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2005
Houston, Tx.

Hi Tom,

I have discus in my 120g planted tank. So far everything is going well but I mostly feed blood worms and spectrum.

You mentioned about feeding beefheart, that is something I have avoided thinking it would cause water fouling problems. I have cories in the tank that that keep the bottom cleaned up pretty well.

Do you think it is ok to feed beefheart in a planted tank?

Bill

baruch mor

Prolific Poster
Jan 23, 2005

From my expirience, a small amount of beaf heart once a day every day is not a bad idea in the planted tank - make sure to take off all the fat from the heart though

Greg Watson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
United States

Bill said:
Do you think it is ok to feed beefheart in a planted tank?
Bill

I do ... and back when I kept Discus it was their primary source of food ... and it was my primary source of Nitrates (from the fish and food waste) ...

Greg

Dolfan

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Apr 2, 2005

I stopped adding KNO3 and 2 weeks later all is still well. My nitrates stay at 4 to 6 PPM. I greatly appreciate the advice.