This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

KH & GH 12 with RO water?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Gilles, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Gilles

Gilles Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:58 PM
    I re-filled my tank with RO water, and measured a KH of 3 the day after i filled the tank. Ideal you would say. Now, 2 weeks later i remeasured my tank water and it had a KH of 9 and GH of 12.

My tank has black gravel (100% calcium free) and Dennerle deponitmix professional. There are those white pallets in it, but i don't think they can boost the KH and GH that much in so little time can they?

My filter is an Eheim 2080 with both Eheim Substrat Pro and Eheim EHFIMECH.

Any tips are welcome!

2. detlef

detlef Member

Local Time:
    Hi Gilles,

my first quess would be you are using kind of rocks which raise KH and GH (e.g. mini landscape)?

Regards, Detlef

3. jonny_ftm

jonny_ftm Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I lived same bad expierience loosing many shrimps at waterchanges. It was calcareous stones I didn't test.

Get some 10% HCl and test your stones and black gravel. A 100% calcium free gravel doesn't exist except advertising claims. There always be some calcium, but how much?

A good test is to mix some of your gravel with RO in a glass, let it rest for a week and test water (close glass to avoid evaporation that will false the results

Deponit mix, I'm not sure about it, google "Deponit GH" and let us know please

4. Gilles

Gilles Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Well i have no rocks in my tank, it must be either the deponitmix or the gravel, will test it and let you guys know.