Kh Around 2 And Gh 0, Plz Help

nanomania

Jul 24, 2020
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Im using API test kit. I have seen my plants like rotala breaking, and blyxa breaking too. Is that coz of gh or is it that they are adjusting? They came from a hobbyists submerged grown.

Its been 2 weeks since i added them. I see new shoots in rotala but some still break sometimes. Confused.

Im dosing Tropica premium, as no3 and po4 are enough for plants. Also have add TC plants yesterday.

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk

Pauld738

Feb 24, 2019
Modesto, CA
Since you are asking here I assume you didn't get enough info over on planted tank.net?

BettaSplenda was correct...

You need Gh in your tank. Specifically a ratio of calcium to magnesium with somewhere around 2:1 Ca:Mg. Gh should be at the very, very minimum 4dGh when tested with an API test kit and I would recommend running at 6dGh as I had issues when running at 4. The ratio of Ca:Mg is important.

From your other post, Gh by itself will not cause algae. What causes algae is too much nutrients for the light that you have on your tank. Or an imbalance of nutrients. What you have with 0-1 Gh is an imbalance.

Maybe you are confusing Gh with Kh?

And Seachem Equilibrium is fine for adding Gh but as was noted, Equilibrium has more than just Ca:Mg at the correct ratio. It usually doesn't have any negative effects unless you are maxing out EI Ferts though. And if you are maxing out Ferts you are are running high co2 and high light.

Any particular reason why you are wanting to run at such a low Gh? :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: nanomania

nanomania

Jul 24, 2020
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Since you are asking here I assume you didn't get enough info over on planted tank.net?

BettaSplenda was correct...

You need Gh in your tank. Specifically a ratio of calcium to magnesium with somewhere around 2:1 Ca:Mg. Gh should be at the very, very minimum 4dGh when tested with an API test kit and I would recommend running at 6dGh as I had issues when running at 4. The ratio of Ca:Mg is important.

From your other post, Gh by itself will not cause algae. What causes algae is too much nutrients for the light that you have on your tank. Or an imbalance of nutrients. What you have with 0-1 Gh is an imbalance.

Maybe you are confusing Gh with Kh?

And Seachem Equilibrium is fine for adding Gh but as was noted, Equilibrium has more than just Ca:Mg at the correct ratio. It usually doesn't have any negative effects unless you are maxing out EI Ferts though. And if you are maxing out Ferts you are are running high co2 and high light.

Any particular reason why you are wanting to run at such a low Gh? :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I am not running at that level, this is what happens before and after water change. However just after a day of water change and dosing, it changed. I have made a new thread as my rotala hra is not doing well, and have mentioned alot in detail with pic.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...share_fid=108207&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pauld738