This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

KH and soft water species (tonina and Syngonanthus)

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Species' started by mythin, Feb 27, 2013.

1. mythin

mythin Junior Poster

Local Time:
    11:32 PM
    I have had my tank set up for a while with seiryu stones which shot my KH up to 12ish, but Ive done several water changes with RO and now my KH is down to about 4, ph 6.5, substrate is similar to amazonia (brightwell's rio escuro), I dont think my substrate can buffer any lower anymore, maybe the seiryu used up all its buffering capabilities?

Either way I was wondering if anyone had kept tonina or Syngonanthus "Uaupes" in KH anywhere close to 4, or does it absolutely require 0-1 kh?

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Plenty have kept them at that KH range. I'd remove the stones before I went through all that trouble, there are many types of stone available that do not mess with things.

3. mythin

mythin Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Yes, the stones have been sold last week, after which is when i went through my RO water swap spree, Houston tap water is really hard, so I think im just going to keep doing water changes with pure RO. Have you grown Syngonanthus "Uaupes" before?

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Yes, it was a little troublesome to acclimate, but did fine.

Houston Tap stinks.