This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Kelvin and Plant Growth.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by bryanjames, Feb 5, 2016.

1. bryanjames

bryanjames Subscriber

Local Time:
    4:31 AM
    I've been going on the idea that Kelvin does not have a role in photosynthesis as it is merely an aesthetic rating but then I see people discuss how they get better growth with X Kelvin combined with Y Kelvin lamps or when they add a lamp with Z Kelvin their plants grew fast and changed color. Are they confusing the results of the spectral power and intensity of the lamps with the Kelvin rating?

What am I missing?

2. jedimasterben

jedimasterben Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Kelvin doesn't really mean a lot. It is an approximation of what the color of the light is, which doesn't say a lot about the spectral makeup or quality of the light. An RGB LED (which uses only 470nm, 530nm, and 630nm light with not much overlap) can visually look like, say, a GE daylight lamp, but the plants won't look right or grow the same since there is a lot that is missing spectrally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. bryanjames

bryanjames Subscriber

Local Time:
    Thanks for clearing that up!

4. easternlethal

easternlethal Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I'm guessing that's why you add cyans, violets blues etc. to your setup.. but how do you know what to add to achieve the best spectral makeup?