Keeping Glosso down

Paul

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Droitwich, UK
I want to put some glosso in my tank, last few times the corys wrecked it, any ideas on how to stop them wrecking it? I am guessing the answer is either no corys or no glosso?

Wö£fëñxXx

Prolific Poster
Jan 24, 2005
Re: Keeping Glosso down

Be persistant in re-planting it as many times as it takes, until some of it takes root.

Cornhusker

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005

:) the glosso i recevied from plant supply was in bundle and about 3" tall. i planted and let take good rooting,then cut low at substrate,this seemed to be only way to keep fish from uprooting. worked good. regards,cornhusker :) :)

Paul

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Droitwich, UK

Thanks, I thought you might say that, I have tried to carpet it with Hemianthus callitrichoides before as well, lovely plant, just had a habit of never staying in the sand, Im going to order some and see how it goes, will let you know

reiverix

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2005

I ultimately had to remove my dwarf gourami to give my Glosso any chance at survival.

I also planted it deep, deeper than I would plant anything else, and in large bunches at first so there would be a larger root mass to anchor it. After a few days I pulled some up, seperated it into smaller groups and replanted it, though still deeply. All seems to be well and there is lots of fresh growth. I've heard the deeper you plant it the lower it will ultimately be, all other things being equal. I dunno if there's any truth to that though. I suppose any plant has a theoretical height limit and planting it deeper, as long as it doesn't affect it's health, should have some impact on the final height.

It's only been about a week since the glosso was planted, but it's already anchoring well in my 100% flourite substrate. If the deep planting is going to have an ill affect I should find out shortly. I have a green water problem, so the light isn't reaching the bottom as well as I would like. The glosso seems to be growing upwards of course. My point here is that the glosso is tall by my standards, but is not being uprooted or swept away in the current. I would say that the most important consideration directly after planting is to eliminate any critters that are going to harrass it at least until it has had time to stabilize itself and anchor. After that, I would introduce them back and see how they treat it and how well it holds up and make a decision from there.

If you don't want to remove them, perhaps you could use something like a wire basket inverted and placed over the glosso so that it could get light and circulation but the animals couldn't get to it. Of course, you wouldn't use a WIRE basket, but you get the point. Anything safe that serves the function.

baruch mor

Prolific Poster
Jan 23, 2005

You have to give it ample amount of light n co2, let it root for a few days/weeks and then introduce the cories.

Paul

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Droitwich, UK

Well I got my glosso, four nice plants for £10 from Greenline. Ive got high lights and c02 bur no-where to move the corys to, spare tanks got penguin tetras in it atm.
I will let you know how it goes