kamikaze Rummy Noses, Really need help

el_tubaron

Junior Poster
Sep 22, 2008
Porto, Portugal
Hello,

Well this post are in the follow of this one

http://www.barrreport.com/co2-aquatic-plant-fertilization/5136-co2-loss-bad-dissolution.html

Summary:

In 3 weeks 7 Rummy Noses jump out the tank :(

The Cube

Dim: Cube with 46cm x 46cm x 46cm (96L)
ligth: HQI 70w 5200K
substrate: Fourite

there is a photo.
the_cube2_29_12_2008.jpg

the parameters of the water are:

ph: 7.2
kh: 5
gh: 7
NO3: 10
PO4: 0.5
Fe: 0.05

temp: 25ºc

Filtration: 300l/h

CO2 pressurized 1b every 3s (venturi reactor)
fertilizing: IE

Yesterday another 2 have jump after 1h30 the light off.
I really don't see what it can be!!!!!

Maybe the question is, why the Rummy Noses or fish in general jump out?
temp? ok
oxygen? I have a sump under the aquarium and the outtake are above the water to agitate the superficie....

Any idea?

PS: sorry for my poor English but my native language is Portuguese.

Regards,
Victor Pinto

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
In have about 100 Rummy noses in a 120 Gallon 120cmx60cmx60cm tank without issue, I've had maybe 3-4 jump in 1 year. I can live with that.

Might be the layout, the current, reduce the level so they do not slip out when swimming(3-5cm or more is good).

Regards,
Tom Barr

el_tubaron

Junior Poster
Sep 22, 2008
Porto, Portugal
Hi Tom
Tom Barr;32432 said:
In have about 100 Rummy noses in a 120 Gallon 120cmx60cmx60cm tank without issue, I've had maybe 3-4 jump in 1 year. I can live with that.

Might be the layout, the current, reduce the level so they do not slip out when swimming(3-5cm or more is good).

Regards,
Tom Barr

First Greeting for Portugal ;)

well I´m gonna rotate the outtake to the glass on the back of the tank, to reduce the bottle neck created by the wood, as I said I'm gonna try every thing...

Regards
Victor Pinto

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Hi Victor,

Not sure if you noticed, but Tom also recommended that you lower your water level to 3-5cm (or more) below the tank top. Your water level is very high in all of your pics. Your rummies aren't so much jumping out of your tank as simply swimming out of it. :)

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Victor,

Any other fish chasing them maybe? Or when the lights are out, is there something that could startle them somehow? A vibration in the room, or a filter/powerhead turning on/off rattling????

I have kept rummy nose of all types for years, and have rarely found them on the floor. there has to be a reason.

I third the motion to DECREASE your water level so it is not as close to the surface........

Mine have always tended towards the lower third of the tank, so am really confused about yours and their behavior........

Let us know.

el_tubaron

Junior Poster
Sep 22, 2008
Porto, Portugal
Hi,

Well, to have 2/3 cm on the top I have to cut the intake tube (no very easy at this time). Im gonna trie to reduce the flow and send the water to the back glass... and pray :eek:

ps: I m still not sure that is the problems....

regards,
Victor Pinto