This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Just starting out! 15G Marine planted tank

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Alunai, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Alunai

Alunai Junior Poster

Local Time:
    8:13 AM
    Hello!
    My name is Ashley. I am a 20 year old Kennel Attendant at a humane society. I am a huge animal person- fish are no exception. I have been dabbling in the saltwater hobby for a little over two years now. I recently lost my motivation, but have found my interests peaked again in new- greener side of the hobby. Planted tanks!!

I have decided to try my hand at a Marine planted aquarium. This is where I'm going to need help. I know most planted tanks are freshwater. As much as I want a nice school of neon tetras, I just can't imagine parting with my beloved salties.

Here's a bit of starting info.

15 gallon tank.
    Non CO2
    Two 2-bulb T5HO's. 1 Actinic and 1 daylight in each.
    I have 2 Koralia 750's and 3 Koralia nano's. I'll likely use the nanos.
    HOB filter rated for 75 gallons.

I have tons of live sand I can sift through to get nice teeny tiny grain size for roots to grow through. Other than that, I have no idea where to start. I would like to use/make a good substrate so that the plants have a bit to feed off of, since I'll have relatively low light and no CO2.

So! Starting off at step one: Substrate. What should I use to create the optimum substrate? I already have some water in the tank, and will probably have to fill it as my few corals are suffering in my 29 gallon that I am currently tearing down and want them to perk up again ASAP.

THANK YOU in advance!!

Ashley

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Some folks collect marl mud from the soft seagrass beds.
    Aragonite that's well aged and contains mulm is similar.

What you have sounds fine.

You do not need or want atinic, all daylight is better.

Temp changes are the biggest enemy IME.
    So keep the home the same temp throughout the year if you can.

3. Alunai

Alunai Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I should probably mention that I live in minnesota, and have no access to natural materials that would be used in this tank.

Also, I will have a few corals in the tank as well, softies and maybe a few LPS (one frogspawn for sure if I can get it into recovery). Would it be better to have 3 daylight and one actinic for the benefit of the corals? Is actinic harmful to macro algae and plants?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

4. Alunai

Alunai Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hmmm... I was thinking- should I get some good refugium mud to mix in with the aragonite sand that I have now?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

5. JJ..Bequiet

JJ..Bequiet Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    IME macro algae tanks are pretty low tech very forgiving setups.
    Antinic won't harm but does nothing, 6500k will mimic sun and help macro grow.
    As Mr.Barr stated keep the temp consistent also I think keeping the water a bit dirty helps.
    Do you have a list of macros you intend keep?

Down here in southwest Florida I come across some decent specimens at the beach now and then.

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    You can also find some of my musings on Reefcentral as well.

There's a good discussion on a 90 Gal with macros and corals living together fairly well.

Most of my experience with dosing etc, is more around macros only, I have not included corals to this routine, this poster did.