This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Just started EI

Discussion in 'Estimative Index' started by douahe, Mar 17, 2011.

1. douahe

douahe Junior Poster

Local Time:
    2:13 PM
    Tank Setup:

I currently have a 210 gallon tank measuring 72X24X30.
    2 Rena XP3 canister filters.
    1 18W Cora-Life UV sterilizer hooked up to one of the XP3s.
    For lighting I have an Aquaticlife T5HO fixture that has 12 36” lamps. I have the following lamps:
    6 roseates 650 nm 3 on each side, 2 6000K lamps 1 on each side, 2 actinic 420nm 1 on each side,
    2 6700K 1 on each side. I realize that the actinic do nothing for plant growth. However they do a wonderful job of pulling out color in the fish. I run 8 lamps, 2 6K, 2 actinic, 2 6700K and 2 roseate, from 10AM – 7PM, with the remaining 4 roseates from 12-6.
    For CO2 I have a pressurized system comprising a 5lb tank (20lb is replacing it as soon as the 5lb is empty) I have a Milwaukie MA957 regulator attached. Output is about 6-8 bps. For a diffuser I have a Co2 reactor with a rio pump from aquariumplants.com . I am considering replacing this with a couple of in line foggers.

2 Hydor Koralia; 1 425gph nano & 1 1050 Evolution.

Started dosing with the following this week:

3 tsp KNO3 3 times weekly
    1 tsp KH2PO4 3 times weekly
    1 ½ tsp trace 3 times weekly with added DPTA FE and MGSO4 each at a ratio of 4-1 trace to additive.
    1 tsp MGSO4 1-2 times weekly
    1tsp K2SO4 3 times weekly

Since I started, the water has gotten a slight haze to it. Is this from the fertilizers not mixing well? Or from an excess of nutrients or something else entirely? Before I started dosing with dry fertilizers my water was crystal clear.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Helgi

#1 douahe, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2011
  2. douahe

douahe Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I am still having issues with hazy water after starting my EI dosing. If anyone has some suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Helgi

3. redilyn

redilyn Junior Poster

Local Time:
    To start, we need to know more about your setup, tank size for starters.

I can say, your dosing sounds high. Even for a 120gallon tank the dose of kno3 is only 1.5tsp/3x weekly

100 - 125 Gallon Aquarium
    +/- 1 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
    +/- ½ tsp KH2P04 3x a week
    +/- 1.25 tsp once a week(water change only)
    +/- ½ tsp (30ml) Trace 3x a week
    50% weekly water change

4. redilyn

redilyn Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Umm, nevermind. I just saw your other thread. Guess your dosing is fine.

5. fjf888

fjf888 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Are you dosing KH2PO4, traces and FE at the same time? Wonder if that could be causing the problem.

6. douahe

douahe Junior Poster

Local Time:
    This is my dosing schedule: Sunday I do a 50% water change, add the MGSO4. M,W,F I add the KNO3, KH2PO4, FE, K2SO4. T, Thur, Sat., I dose the 1 ½ tsp trace 3 times weekly with added DPTA FE and MGSO4 each at a ratio of 4-1 trace to additive.

So, to answer your question, I does the FE with the KH2PO4, and a mixture of 4-1 trace-FE in the trace. However, those are dosed on different days. The added FE and MGSO4 to the trace were suggested by Tom Barr here: http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/8363-Help-starting-EI

Thanks,

Helgi

7. fjf888

fjf888 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I sometimes don't know whether my info is right or wrong (in this hobby it can be dangerous to rely on rules of thumb), someone who knows better can correct me. I thought dosing the KH2PO4 and iron and the same time would result in iron phosphate which is undissolvable. I wonder in quantity if this could be causing the problem.

8. douahe

douahe Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I suppose that could be a possibility. I will maybe try and does the FE at a different time. Would it be better to dose the FE with the trace? Though I wonder, if I am dosing dry fertilizers directly into the water column, would that be enough to be causing a problem? Also, if dosing KH2PO4 with iron would create iron phosphate, then wouldn't any residual of either cause a combine to form iron phosphate, and, as a result, defeat the purpose of using both in a fertilizer regimen? Or would dosing them a few hours apart, or a day apart make enough of a difference?

Thanks for the input.

Helgi

9. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    pics help a lot also

10. douahe

douahe Junior Poster

Local Time:
    [attachment=809:name]

The first picture was taken two days before I started the EI dosing regemin. The next two pictures were taken this evening. I don't know how well it is visible in the pictures but there is a haze in the in the pictures from this evening. The first picture, taken before the EI fertilizing, the water was crystal clear. It isn't bad enough to prevent visibility throughout the entire tank, but it is enough that it is frustrating.

Thanks for the help!

Helgi

IMG_3107.JPG

IMG_3103.JPG

IMG_3076 copy.jpg

11. douahe

douahe Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Dosing the FE on the same day as the trace has cleared up the water. Thanks for all the suggestions.