This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Just added CO2 how low should pH get?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by lipadj46, Apr 21, 2011.

1. lipadj46

lipadj46 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    11:13 AM
    So I just added CO2 and I have about 2 bps going now. I don't have a drop checker yet and won't until next week when I can get back in the lab and make one. My question is what is the lowest I should look for my pH to get, 6.0? I would rather not kill my daughter's fish!

2. Jeremy1

Jeremy1 Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I would not go below 6. Adjust co2 slowly and monitor closley. As long as your fish are not gasping at surface your are good. Knowing the KH will give you an idea of your buffering capacity. KH of between 4-5 will protect you from lowering the PH too rapidly from CO2 injection.

3. Cyclesafe

Cyclesafe Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Be aware that with CO2 addition it is the change in pH at a given KH, not the absolute pH that is relevant here. A good rule of thumb is that a 1.0 decrease in pH equals (with lots of hand waving and caveats) 30 ppm of CO2. BPS is only marginally relevant in that your CO2 concentration is also a function of the volume of the tank, your CO2 injection method, as well as several other factors.

When your fish start gasping it's often too late. Although CO2 stress is considered reversible, it's difficult to reduce the concentration in time. If you are concerned about your fish, I'd read the threads here on CO2 before you start using it.

#3 Cyclesafe, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2011