Just a quick hello

Jenn

Junior Poster
Aug 18, 2011
US native now living in NZ
Hi all. I just wanted to say hi and properly introduce myself. I really only discovered this site a couple of years ago, and while it has been great to come and learn on occasion, I haven't had much to say recently. Just after I discovered this site I lost over a dozen of my tanks in a big earthquake - that really put a dampener on my enthusiasm. After a couple of hard years (and the aftershocks finally dying down) I am getting inspired again. I finally hooked up my CO2 this weekend (my tanks have been running really low tech for the past 8 months after I had to move to another house that wasn't so quake damaged).

I decided to bump up from an annual subscriber because I really want to support sites like this that give so much to the community and while I haven't contributed much thus far, I hope to change that soon.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
NZ can be a challenge mostly by being able to get the plants.
They have a fair no# in the lakes and rivers.

Weeds.......

I'm not sure how they regulate aquatic plants for hobbyists, but I'd say it's tougher than Oz likely.

Jenn

Junior Poster
Aug 18, 2011
US native now living in NZ
Yeah, there is a movement to use more native plants here (lucky for us glosso is native). There is also a pest plant database and there really are surprisingly few plants that are banned, mostly due to the colder climate I guess. There are a surprisingly large number of plants that can be imported here - the main problem is contaminated soil that they bring in with them. Still there are quite a few 'hitchhikers' that appear from importers so you'd be surprised what we have here! The main problem is that there are actually few people that grow and sell plants here and they tend to have a secret club where they swap unusual things so for the average planted tank fan they may not have access to a lot in their LFS.