This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Jungle Style 200 Gallon Doing Well

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by Paul G, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Paul G

Paul G Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:07 PM
    I am really pleased with my tank. It is healthy and stable. There have been no nuisance algae in a very long time. I've learned a lot watching this forum over the years, and I think it shows. So I am compelled to share some pics I hope you will find worthwhile.

This is a jungle style aquascape. Plants that do well are allowed to go wild, with some limits of course. The 'scape is self-composing. There are six Echinodorus 'ozelot' that were planted giving consideration to allowing them the needed room to grow, so their even placement is an artifice of a kind I admit. The Cryptocoryne wendtii was initially planted just around the swords. Where the stands of crypts are now was left entirely up to them. The large patch, still growing, right smack in the middle of the 'scape was not my idea, but if that's where it wants to be, I will not argue. The Sagittaria spreads fast. I keep it thinned out, especially toward the front, but I am happy to see it filling in across the back. The Hygrophila difformis and Hydrocotyle leucocephela give interesting contrast. Also present is a Nymphaea lotus 'rubra' which is taking its confinment well, rewarding me occasionally with a pretty flower. I remove a lot of large leaves from it routinely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Typical 6 day oxygen saturation cycle. Peak daytime energy input to LEDs is 420 watts. O2 peaks at 10 ppm at 6:00 PM daily with overnight minimum of 5.5 ppm.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    6:07 AM
    Beautiful Lily blossoms..everything looks well. Any ideas of what you might do next with it?
    btw,Does anybody know what Lily with ruffled edges Amano used? Seen it in his bigger tanks..it's a big lilly.

3. Paul G

Paul G Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:07 PM
    This is something I tried recently. My fat SAEs took to it like cats with a new box. I have kept Java fern before and it's a plant I really like, especially when the leaves get large. These specimens were not doing well, so I removed it to the holding tank for now. I have a few pieces of wood like this and I have a general notion about a reef of Java fern running through the middle of the 'scape. I'm not quite sure there is room, but it is, after all, a jungle. The future for this ecosystem is more up to it than it is up to me. I just feed this creature. My view of a jungle style is to let the plants do what they want and not interfere overmuch.
    [​IMG]

Phishless likes this.
  4. stkenneth

stkenneth New Member

Local Time:
    8:07 PM
    wow really love the super plant mass!! must be an adventure for the fish!

Tags: