Jumpers!

ngfrazier

Junior Poster
Jan 28, 2009
Lafayette, LA
Open top aquariums...what to do...

I've got an ADA 75-P. Water quality is excellent, but, I still get jumpers from time to time (fish who leap to their deaths).

I've lost several SAEs, rasboras and some cardinals... Pretty sad to find the dried up carcass lying around the tank at random times...

I don't want to cover the tank (stay in there, stoopid fishies :cower:).

Suggestions?

C

csmith

ngfrazier;77417 said:
I don't want to cover the tank

With that option gone you're best bet will be a stern talking to, with a definate wag of your finger.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

I would also second the clear netting if anything....as long as you can easily remove/replace...

I also have a large rimless open top tank and wanted hatchets :)

Settled for diptails pencils (n.eques) instead. However, all fish almost will jump if frightened. I find rummies on the floor that the cats didn't get...

I feel for you. I simply chose fish that didn't jump AS MUCH or were not known for it. Swordtails for example are also out :)

Guru Class Expert
Aug 19, 2010
Floating plant's have helped me, but I must stay on top of the growth or the floating plant's begin to block light to plant's below to the point where they begin to suffer.
Pennywort it what I use, and every couple weeks I take a couple hand fulls to fish store along with
vals and trade them for store credit.
I still have occasional jumper's, but not nearly as many as before adding the floating plant's.

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
I find my black neons tend to jump out in dark hours, especially during daytime before light-on,
in mating frenzy. And they tend to jump at the corners, maybe the angle forces them to go upward.
So, after light-off, I cover the corners. This helps but I don't think it will zero the chance.

Charles Crews;77461 said:
Force Field? Or maybe a much large tank below the one you have now so they just fall into that?

The first has popped up in my mind too. But for the later, how could you think of that? :encouragement: LOL!

ngfrazier

Junior Poster
Jan 28, 2009
Lafayette, LA
Thanks for the info....

Of course, I could always class the joint up with something like this:

[attachment=969:name]

Oval-20web-20new.jpg