This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Java Fern Die Off - Gh Booster Needed?

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by LittleBrownDog, Apr 16, 2020.

1. LittleBrownDog

LittleBrownDog New Member

Local Time:
    4:21 AM
    I have very soft water, the GH and KH is usually around 3 dGH or less. My java fern has been in a cycle of generating new growth and then developing these black/brown patches that lead to the whole leaf dying back.

Could GH booster solve this problem? I have read in a few places that java fern behaves like this in water that is too soft, but I could not find any hard evidence.

I'm almost ready to just pull it out of the tank and let the Hygrophila pinitifida take over, since its growing like gangbusters. But the java fern rhizomes are large and it seems a pitty to waste it.

Tank specs-
    40x18x18 (in inches) tank
    Twinstar 900s light dimmed around 50% on for 9 hours a day
    injected co2
    EI dosing

2. LittleBrownDog

LittleBrownDog New Member

Local Time:
    4:21 AM
    Also reading that this is normal?

If so...I'm going to let the H. Pinnatifida take its place as the dominant plant on my hardscape.

3. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    1:21 AM
    I've gotten that after big water changes or long stretch of not dosing iron and potassium. Ferns..aquatic or land..love iron. It's why most fertilizers for ferns and woodsy garden plants have high levels of iron..and moly,etc.
    Start with the Iron..should work visibly in a few short days.

Tags: